Lecture to discuss quality of teaching

By Michelle Esposito

Students who feel that their teachers are focusing on their own studies rather than teaching will be able to hear a lecture Thursday on this topic.

Ernest Boyer, president of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, will speak in a lecture titled, “Quest For Quality: The Undergraduate Experience.”

“The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching is a policy institute that studies teaching and quality of education,” said Assistant Law Professor Kathleen Patchel

One of his points of discussion will be to talk about the relationship between teaching and research on college campuses, Patchel said.

The main emphasis of Boyer’s lecture will be about whether the university should emphasize teaching more than research and publication, Patchel added.

“Students all across the country are concerned that teachers don’t focus on teaching, Patchel said.

“I feel Dr. Boyer’s discussion will be of great interest to students,” she said.

Boyer was chosen Man of the Year in Higher Education in 1987.

Boyer has also been recognized nationally. An additional honor includes being elected Educator of the Year in 1990 by U.S. News and World Report.

Boyer also is the author of many books.

Boyer will be speak Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

The lecture, which is sponsored by the NIU Distinguished Lecturers Series Committee, is open to everyone.