Weekly events: Week of Nov. 29

Getty Images

Weekly events for week of Nov. 29.

By Northern Star Staff

Monday

• Open Forum for Chief of Police Candidate #1: Join the campus community for an open forum with Candidate #1 for the position of Chief of Police and Public Safety. Those who are not able to attend in person are invited to watch virtually through Zoom. This event will be at 1 p.m. in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.
  • Golden Apple Accelerators at NIU Info Session: The Accelerators program works with individuals who hold at least a bachelor’s degree, want to be teachers but don’t have a teaching license. The information session will be at 5:30 p.m. via Zoom. Registration is required.

Tuesday

• Love Labyrinth: Navigating Relationships: This workshop will provide a framework for people to talk about healthy and unhealthy behaviors they may experience in their own lives or see in a friend’s relationship. The workshop will be at noon via Zoom. Registration is required.
  • Open Forum for Chief of Police Candidate #2: Join the campus community for an open forum with Candidate #2 for the position of Chief of Police and Public Safety. Those who are not able to attend in person are invited to watch virtually through Zoom. This event will be at 1 p.m. in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.
  • President’s Annual Holiday Gathering: Join President Lisa Freeman, her leadership team and fellow colleagues for the Annual President’s Holiday Gathering 2 to 4 p.m. in the Altgeld Hall, Auditorium.
  • FSAB Movie Night: “Money Ball”: The Finance Student Advisory Board will be screening the movie at 5:30 p.m. in Barsema Hall, Room 110.
  • Fall AAPI Leadership Awards: Asian American Pacific Islander Leadership Awards will recognize all students and collaboration partners involved in AARC programs, including OHANA Night, Boey Honors Program and the Peer Mentor Program. The event will be at 5 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Sky Room.
  • Honors Beef Shack Fundraiser: The Honors Program will be hosting a fundraiser from 5 to 9 p.m. at Beef Shack, 1180 W. Lincoln Highway. Students must mention the honors fundraiser. 

Wednesday 

• Peace Corps Information Session: Join the information session at 3:30 p.m. via zoom to learn about Volunteer experiences, ask questions about service and gain tips for the application process. Students can register here.
  • Legally Federated: Women are invited to learn more about the Legally Federated organization. This is a formal event, so ladies are required to dress in business casual and attend a PowerPoint presentation that will provide information on joining the organization. The event will be at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Lincoln Hall. 

Thursday 

• Open Forum for Chief of Police Candidate #3: Join the campus community for an open forum with Candidate #3 for the position of Chief of Police and Public Safety. Those who are not able to attend in person are invited to watch virtually through Zoom. This event will be at 1 p.m. in Altgeld Hall, Room 315.
  • Christmas Movie Marathon: Watch a popular Christmas movie at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg Auditorium. 
  • Scholarship Opportunities for Current Students: Learn about the opportunities available through MyScholarships, including the process, timeline and general application questions. The informational session will be at 6 p.m. via Microsoft Teams
  • Capstone Presentations and Photos with Mission: All are welcome to come view honors student’s capstone presentations and take a picture with Mission II prior to the honors day celebration at 4 p.m. in the Campus Life Building, Atrium. 

Friday

• COVID-19 Booster Vaccine Clinic: All COVID-19 vaccines will be available during this clinic. Students and employees who are not vaccinated or who are not fully vaccinated may get a first or second vaccine dose at this booster clinic as well. The clinic will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, Duke Ellington Ballroom. Registration is required as they will not accept walk-ups. 
  • A Night at Holmes – Finals Edition: Starting at 7 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center, students can participate in Mario Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament, play Bingo, bowl, play pool, sing karaoke and eat food.