Huskies drop fourth-straight in career day by Davis

Junior forward A’Jah Davis had a career-high 26 points in NIU’s 103-71 loss to DePaul.

Wes Sanderson

Junior forward A’Jah Davis (left) watches junior guard Chelby Koker drive to the basket in NIU’s victory over Bradley on Nov. 22. (Northern Star File Photo)

By DeOndre Saunders, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — Women’s basketball dropped their fourth straight game after a 103-71 blowout loss to the DePaul University Blue Demons Thursday in Chicago.

Junior forward A’Jah Davis recorded her fifth double-double of the season and scored a career-high 26 points.

“That was the A’Jah we know and love, demanding the basketball and being efficient,” head coach Lisa Carlsen said. “I thought we did a good job of finding her on the low block. Hopefully, that can propel her to some consistency in the next few games because she’s a lot to handle at the bottom half of the lane when she’s that aggressive.”

DePaul had five players in double digits, with sophomore guard Darrione Rogers leading the Blue Demons with 20 points. Graduate guard Deja Church contributed 18 for DePaul.

The Blue Demons attacked the paint well against the Huskies in the first quarter. Church scored seven points with Rogers scoring five to have a 12 point lead in the first. Huskies could not control the ball with bad passing, resulting in seven turnovers in the first quarter.

The Huskies attempted to make it a close game in the second quarter but simply couldn’t outscore the Blue Demons. Huskies had 14 points in the second quarter-scoring compared to the Blue Demons’ 19 points. Rogers scored seven of the 19 points in the second quarter.

NIU continued to struggle with turnovers in the second quarter with four turnovers, totaling 11 turnovers by halftime.

The Huskies entered halftime down 40-23. Rogers led all scorers at the half with 12 points.

The Blue Demons had a hot shooting streak coming out of the half, making seven three-pointers in ten attempts. The Blue Demons had 12 fast-break points in the third quarter.

Davis scored 12 points in the third quarter to keep the Huskies in the game. The Blue Demons scored 37 points in the third quarter compared to the Huskies’ 28 points.

The Huskies could not make a comeback in the fourth, despite Davis’ ten points. The Blue Demons attacked the paint and continued to shoot the three to increase their lead. The Huskies went on to lose 103-71, dropping their record to 3-5.

“We knew looking at this two-game stretch that it was going to be a lot for us to handle,” Carlsen said. “We’re going to look at it as a great learning opportunity for some of our young kids who had to play significant minutes maybe earlier than we thought. We have to believe that will be beneficial going forward.”

The Blue Demons scored 23 points off Huskie turnovers and 42 bench points. They also recorded a season-high 18 three-pointers.

The Huskies will head back home Tuesday to play Colorado State University at 6 p.m. The game will be available to watch on ESPN3.