Women’s tennis splits matches in Iowa road trip

Freshman+Reagan+Welch+assumes+the+ready+position+during+a+match+against+the+University+of+St.+Francis+on+Feb.+11.+Welch+earned+victories+in+two+singles+matches+and+one+doubles+match+during+NIUs+weekend+trip+in+the+state+of+Iowa.+%28Summer+Fitzgerald+%7C+Northern+Star%29+

Summer Fitzgerald

Freshman Reagan Welch assumes the ready position during a match against the University of St. Francis on Feb. 11. Welch earned victories in two singles matches and one doubles match during NIU’s weekend trip in the state of Iowa. (Summer Fitzgerald | Northern Star)

By Skyler Kisellus, Sports Reporter

The women’s tennis team went 1-1 over the weekend after a road series that saw them defeat the University of Northern Iowa 5-2 Sunday and fall to Drake University 5-2 Sunday.

How it happened

Saturday: Huskies 5, Panthers 2

The Huskies took to a strong start after winning their first doubles match 6-1. UNI tied the affair with a 6-4 doubles win of their own. NIU’s pairing of sophomore Diana Lukyanova and freshman Reagan Welch secured the doubles point for the Huskies after besting Northern Iowa’s duo of sophomore Andrijana Brkic and junior Thaissa Moreira 6-3.

Singles play continued to favor NIU as Welch and sophomore Anastasia Rakita defeated their respective opponents, putting NIU ahead 3-0. The Panthers responded with their first and only two victories to tie singles play at 2-2. The Huskies sealed the 5-2 win after freshman Angelica Ross and senior Christy Robinson won the final two singles matches on Saturday.

Sunday: Bulldogs 5, Huskies 2

NIU’s next matchup against the Drake Bulldogs Sunday did not begin on the same note as the Huskies were swept in double plays 6-3, 6-0 and 6-1. Drake continued to turn the tables on the Huskies after winning four of the six singles matches.

The Huskies’ lone wins on Sunday came from Welch’s victory against Drake freshman Mille Haagensen, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3, and Robinson’s defeat of Drake senior Kelsey Neville, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Thoughts from coach Burns

Coach Burns on victory over Northern Iowa:

“This was a very tough battle,” head coach Eric Burns said in an NIU Athletics press release. “Northern Iowa came ready to play and really made us work hard to win this match. I’m proud of how we responded when things got a little tight.”

Looking ahead

Competition will return to DeKalb Friday as NIU, boasting a record of 8-4 overall, hosts the University of South Dakota at 1 p.m. and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater at 6 p.m. The Huskies will then head on a road trip Sunday before their Mid-American Conference opener versus Bowling Green State University on Mar. 20.