Professor appointed advisory editor after favorable reviews

By Steve Carasso

A NIU professor has been appointed to a three-year term as an advisory editor by the American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies.

English professor Sean Shesgreen was appointed to the position by the executive board of the society after he received favorable reviews on a book he had written.

“The executive board was impressed with the 12 to 15 good reviews I received on my last book,” Shesgreen said. “I was invited by the board to accept the editor position.”

As advisory editor, Shesgreen said he has been put into a role that he’s not normally used to.

“Basically, I get to make the decisions on what manuscripts are going to be published into the Journal for Eighteenth-Century Studies,” he said. “It used to be that I would submit essays to journals and wait to see if they approved it for publication. It’s a little bit of a reversal.”

James Miller, chairman of English, said the journal, published by the University of California at Davis, “embraces the art, politics, history, philosophy and literature of the Enlightenment in America and Europe—with special reference to England, France and Italy.”

A professor for 22 years at NIU, Shesgreen received his undergraduate education in Ireland and his doctorate from Northwestern University in 17th and 18th Century British Literature. He is the author of several books, most recently “The Criers and Hawkers of London.”