2022 Oscars predictions: Who will win the ‘Big Five’?

Getty Images

Golden trophy cup on gold background (Getty Images)

By Daija Hammonds, Managing Editor

The 2022 Oscars are happening later this month on March 27 and for movie fans, it’s like our Super Bowl. The program lasts about three hours and awards films that premiered in 2021. Here are the predictions for the “Big Five” categories. 

Best Picture

Best Picture is probably the biggest award of the night, as one film is given the honor of being titled the best film of the year. There’s a total of 10 nominees, but only one will take home the Oscar.

After winning big at the SAG Awards this past February, “CODA” is currently the frontrunner for Best Picture. It stars Emilia Jones, Tony Kotsur, Daniel Durant and Marlee Matlin.

Available to stream on Apple TV+, “CODA” follows Ruby navigating through life and her future while being the only hearing person in her family. She works the mornings before school to help out the family business, but after joining her high school choir she starts considering going to Berklee College of Music.

Ruby has to choose between staying home to keep the family business afloat or pursuing her dream of music. 

Best Director

For this category, we see Jane Campion and Steven Spielberg once again competing for the Oscar, just as they did at the 67th Academy Awards with their films “The Piano” and “Schindler’s List.” Spielberg won that year, but it seems Campion might take it this year. 

Campion directed “The Power of the Dog” starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Campion is currently the only woman to be nominated twice for Best Director.

“The Power of the Dog” is a western drama and tackles themes of love, jealousy, grief and sexuality. It follows rancher Phil Burbank, played by Cumberbatch, as he deals with his brother bringing home his new wife and her son. He tries to keep his distance as he’s not open about the possibility of love. 

Best Actor

After winning the SAG award for Male Actor in a Leading Role, Will Smith is on track to take home the Oscar for Best Actor. This is Smith’s third time being nominated for Best Actor, but he has yet to win an Oscar.

Smith stars in “King Richard” alongside Aunjanue Ellis, Saniyya Sidney, Demi Singleton and Tony Goldwyn. The film tells the story of Richard Williams, father to Venus and Serena Williams, and his plan to make them the tennis superstars they are today. 

Best Actress 

While it may seem like Kristen Stewart could be taking home the Oscar for her portrayal of Princess Diana in “Spencer,” Jessica Chastain, fresh off her SAG win for Female Actor in a Leading Role, is predicted to win Best Actress. 

Chastain stars in “The Eyes of Tammy Faye” with Andrew Garfield, Cherry Jones, Mark Wystrach and Vincent D’Onofrio. The film takes a look at the life of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker, the rise and fall of her career and her marriage to Jim Bakker. 

This marks Chastain’s third nomination and could be her first Oscar win. 

Best Screenplay

Best Screenplay is split up into two subcategories of Original and Adapted as they go to two different movies.

Predicted to take home the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay is Kenneth Branagh for the film “Belfast,” which he also directed. The film stars Jamie Dornan, Jude Hill, Caitriona Balfe and Judi Dench. 

“Belfast” is a coming-of-age drama following Buddy’s childhood in Northern Ireland at the beginning of The Troubles in 1969.

Jane Champion, writer and director of “The Power of the Dog” is predicted to win the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. The film is based on a novel of the same name.