Men’s tennis loses home matchup against Omaha

The Huskies’ record dropped to 8-6 after the loss Wednesday.

Mingda Wu

Redshirt senior Kristopher Ortega swings during a tennis match against the University of Omaha March 23 in DeKalb.

By Waleed Alamleh, Sports Reporter

DeKALB The men’s tennis team’s two game winning streak was snapped on Wednesday afternoon in DeKalb, after losing to the University of Omaha Mavericks 5-2.  

Of the six singles matches played, the Huskies were only able to win two of them. Junior Oliver Valentinsson was able to hold off Omaha freshman Todd Chen in a tough match that went to a third set before Valentinsson was finally able to win 6-4,6-7,6-2. Junior Mikko Malinen had to battle for the second match win., going three sets with Omaha senior Hugo Piles Ballester before eventually winning 6-2,2-6,6-4. 

The rest of the Huskies did not fare so well against the Mavericks. Freshman Christopher Knutson and sophomore Mikael Vollbach both lost their matches in three sets. Knutson’s final set went to 15 games before he eventually lost 6-7,6-1,10-5. 

As for the doubles matches, the Huskies were only able to win one of the three total matches. It was the pairing of redshirt senior Kristopher Ortega and Valentinsson who got the win against senior Ethan Henry and Ballester, winning the match 6-3. 

With the loss, the Huskies’ overall record drops to 8-6. NIU will look to bounce back from the loss at 1 p.m Saturday against conference opponent Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan.