SGA treasurer candidate hopes to provide funding resources to student organizations

Voting for SGA will occur Tuesday and Wednesday in multiple locations across campus.

Honor+Morgan%2C+junior+political+science+major%2C+is+running+for+treasurer+and+hopes+to+keep+funding+transparent.++

Courtesy of Honor Morgan

Honor Morgan, junior political science major, is running for treasurer and hopes to keep funding transparent.

DeKALB — Honor Morgan, a junior political science major, is running for the treasurer position in the executive branch in the upcoming Student Government Association election. Morgan is minoring in journalism and biology. 

Morgan is currently involved in the Student Government Association and the sorority Sigma Sigma Sigma. 

She currently holds a position with the Student Government Association as the deputy treasurer where she helps the current treasurer with scheduling, planning and financing. She works especially close with funding requests. 

In Sigma Sigma Sigma, she has formerly held the philanthropy chair, community service chair, Founders’ Day chair and treasure chair. 

Morgan believes her involvement in Greek Life especially has helped give her a lot of valuable skills necessary to be a good fit for this position. 

“After all of my experiences working leadership positions in Greek Life, I wanted to get more involved on campus and benefit more people, which is when I started getting interested in student government,” Morgan said. 

Morgan said as deputy treasurer, she has been able to see how SGA works and the funding it does to make sure that events benefit students. 

“I want to serve as the Student Government Association’s treasurer in order to provide as many funding resources as possible for all student organizations,” Morgan said. “NIU offers so many options for student organizational funding and the more events we can get funded, the better our campus will be.”

Morgan believes her current involvement in the Student Government Association has and will continue to benefit her in many ways. 

“Being able to work on the faculty side as well as so closely with Greek life has given me the opportunity to see both sides,” Morgan said. “I have a strong understanding of how both sides work, and a passion to do more for both of them.”

Morgan’s primary goals for the Student Government Association are to continue the transparency policy and make sure that the student body is aware of what student funding is and where it is going. 

Because Morgan is the current deputy treasurer, she believes she has the necessary experience for the treasurer role.

“I have learned not only how the Student Government Association operates with the bylaws and constitution, but I have also met all of the faculty and staff that works with the organization and have developed strong relationships with them, which I think gives me a strong advantage to if I came into the position with no experience and such relationships with staff,” Morgan said. 

Voting for the Student Government Association will occur from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday in Barsema Hall, DuSable Hall, Founders Memorial Library, Holmes Student Center and New Hall Community Center. Additionally, voting via Huskie Link will be available for 24 hours.