How to find an internship that’s a good fit for you

Madelaine Vikse

Internships can provide you with valuable information, but it’s important to find one that you will enjoy and that is a good fit for you (Madelaine Vikse | Northern Star)

By Abby Byer

DeKALB — As the second semester comes to an end, college students begin to start their search for summer internships. It’s hard to know where to start searching, especially as many students are confused about the career path they’d like to take.

LinkedIn is a free professional networking platform available online and on the app store. It’s a way for employers to post open positions and job seekers to look for jobs. It is also commonly used for professional networking. 

You don’t have to be a senior in college or a law student to apply for an internship. There are many opportunities out there for students of all ages with different aspirations and passions. 

There are also unpaid and paid internships. Many internships opt to pay hourly, but there are some that are unpaid in exchange for valuable experience. 

NIU posts internships that are available on its website

“Every Monday the Law School comes out with a career corner (a newsletter of recent jobs) which was how I found my current internship with ACC Chicago (Association of Corporate Counsel),” Emma Grace Redmond-Mattucci, first-year NIU law student said. “I know a lot of other colleges here at NIU, especially the College of Business, hold job fairs and do a great job at introducing students to companies looking for interns.” 

Redmond-Mattucci has a lot of advice for students searching for internships. 

“Think about your own strengths and weaknesses and what you want to do in the future, find opportunities that excite you,” Redmond-Mattucci said. “I know I applied to some internships that I can get, but not what I want to do. It’s your summer and you want to be working for and with something you’re passionate about.”

It can be especially challenging for students to find internships that interest them with all of the qualifications required by companies. 

“Don’t be scared away by the qualifications,” Redmond-Mattucci said. “For example, if you’re on LinkedIn and don’t think you fill all of the qualifications for a job, just know that the company is looking for someone willing and eager to learn. It’s okay to not check all the boxes, there’s always going to be room for improvement and companies know that.” 

Applying for internships can be very intimidating for many students, but students shouldn’t let that stop them. 

“You should always apply because the worst thing they can do is say no,” Redmond-Mattucci said.  “If you don’t apply, it’s an automatic no. Just be eager and try your best, you might just get a yes.”