Women’s tennis beats Eastern Michigan on the road

Senior+Fernanda+Naves+swings+her+racket+during+a+tennis+match+against+Miami+University+April+1+in+DeKalb.+

Wes Sanderson

Senior Fernanda Naves swings her racket during a tennis match against Miami University April 1 in DeKalb.

By Waleed Alamleh, Sports Reporter

The women’s tennis team was able to bounce back from their last match, earning their second conference matchup victory of the year as they won their match Friday 4-3 on the road against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles. 

Doubles: 2-1 NIU

The match Friday afternoon consisted of three doubles matches which the Huskies were able to take. The first game kicked off with the duo of Fernanda Naves and Christy Robinson, which was able to win its match 6-4. The next game came between senior Luliia Dmitrieva and freshman Reagan Welch and redshirt seniors Luisia Pelayo and Grace Whitney. The Eagles’ pairing of Pelayo and Whitney were able to defeat the Huskies’ duo 6-3, tying up the match score 1-1. The Huskies were able to take the last game of the duos matches. Freshmen Angelica Ross and Erika Dimitriev beat the duo of Julia Piatek and Emma-Lou Pommiers 6-2. 

Singles: 2-2 draw

The Huskies and Eagles were able to split their six singles games. The first game was between Ross and the Eagles’ redshirt senior Vasavi Gansean, in which Ross lost in straight sets 6-0, 6-2. The Huskies went down quick in the singles matches as senior Christy Robinson dropped her game against redshirt sophomore Pommiers 6-1, 6-1. The Huskies were able to take the next two games with Dmitirieva and Welch winning their games to give the Huskies a 2-2 tie. The teams would go on to split the next two games resulting in a tie, allowing the Huskies to win the match overall. 

Looking ahead 

With the win, the Huskies’ overall record improved to 15-11 and 2-6 in the Mid-American Conference. The Eagles’ record dropped to 14-15 overall and 2-6 in the MAC. 

NIU will look to continue its conference win streak 1 p.m. Friday for a home match at Chick Evans Fieldhouse against Ball State University.