5 Starbucks drinks to try this spring

Daija Hammonds

The iced matcha chai latte and the sunset tea are two drinks to try from Starbucks this spring (Daija Hammonds | Northern Star)

By Daija Hammonds, Managing Editor

A new season means new drinks to try that are chilled and refreshing. With a Starbucks on campus and another one not too far away, it is a good opportunity to switch it up with spring-inspired drinks ranging from cold brews and lattes to teas and refreshers. Here are five drinks to try for the warmer weather.

Sunset tea

You may already be familiar with the peach green tea, but the “sunset tea” adds more flavor to the original.

To order, ask for an iced peach green tea with lemonade and a splash of passion tea. It may seem like a lot of different flavors, but it’s not too overpowering. It’s a good balance of sweet and tart. If you want more sweetness, feel free to add cane sugar. 

Depending on what size you get, the price ranges from $4 to $6. It also turns into a cool fuchsia color, which makes it great for pictures. 

Iced matcha chai latte

An iced matcha latte is already a warm-weather staple, but this drink is perfect for fans of both matcha and chai.

Ask your barista for a venti iced matcha green tea latte, add one or two pumps of chai and if you want, you can substitute whole milk with almond milk. If you have a nut allergy, you can keep whole milk or substitute another one of your choosing. 

The recipe calls for a venti size, which is around $6, but you can do any size you want. The drink stays a vibrant green color, which fits the spring season.

Salted caramel white mocha cold brew

This drink will suit those who need a little extra caffeine in the morning and also want a bit of sweetness. 

To order, ask for a venti cold brew with caramel drizzle in the cup, four pumps of white chocolate mocha sauce and then salted caramel cold foam on top. It might give you a toothache, but it is worth it. 

The price comes in around $7 for a venti size, but if you want a smaller size, you can adjust the serving suggestions. 

Fuzzy peach refresher

If you’re not a fan of teas or lattes, then a refresher might be right for you. Refreshers include fruit juice that is lightly caffeinated, so it’s good to drink later in the day because you will still be able to sleep at night.

To order this drink is a bit of a mouthful, but ask for a mango dragonfruit refresher, but include no water and no dragonfruit inclusion. Then add light peach juice, two pumps of vanilla syrup and a splash of coconut milk. 

The price is around $7 for the venti size. It turns into a pretty peachy color that is perfect for photos and represents spring very well. 

Strawberry passion lemonade

This final drink is great for people who already love the strawberry açaí refresher, but want to try something a bit different.

To order, ask for a strawberry açaí refresher with lemonade, six pumps of raspberry syrup and a splash of passion tea. The serving suggestions work for any drink size and range in price from $5 to $6.  

It is packed with a lot of flavors, but they all work together very well. 

These drinks are more on the expensive side, but they are tasty and fun to try out. Also, if you don’t want to use your own money, then you can use Huskie Bucks or Dining Dollars.