DeKalb day planner: April 23

Alex Pyevich

Alpha Sigma Phi are shown competing in IFC tugs on April 19 (Alex Pyevich | Northern Star)

By Grace Barone

It’s supposed to be warm this weekend and with the end of the semester creeping up, it’s the perfect time to enjoy some sun before you hunker down for finals. Here’s what’s going on in DeKalb this Saturday. 

IFC tug of war competition (TUGS)

Start your morning off by watching the annual spring tugs competition hosted by the IFC. Watch the fraternities of NIU battle it out in a modified version of tug-of-war. Team members stand in a “trench” for this entertaining tug-of-war competition, according to the event page. The competition starts at 9 a.m. in front of the Huskie Stadium, 1201 North Stadium Drive.

Visually Odd Con 

If you’re sick of seeing pastels and flowers like I am this spring, check out the Visually Odd Con, starting at 11 a.m. at the Red Roof Inn and Suites, 1212 West Lincoln Highway. 

“Visually Odd Con will feature a variety of dark genre artists and oddities vendors, as well as insect pinning workshops,” said Willy Adkins, convention producer. 

Tickets are $10 if you pay with cash or $12 for card payments at the door. If you want to participate in the insect pinning workshop it’s an extra $40. 

On Saturday, the workshops being offered are a Jewel Beetle pinning at noon and a Tarantula pinning at 4 p.m. The workshops are limited to 12 people per session so it is recommended that you RSVP ahead of time. To sign up for a pinning class and for more information on the convention, visit the company’s website.

Holi Festival 

Celebrate the springtime festival Holi. “Festival of Colors” is an Indian cultural festival celebrating the triumph of good over evil. It also signifies the arrival of spring,” according to the event page. The festival is from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Central Park located between the Grant and Stevenson dorms. 

Lunch at Bea’s Wok N Roll 

After a morning of tug of war, insect pinning or colors, get a bite to eat at Bea’s Wok N Roll, 1402 Sycamore Road. This restaurant offers Vietnamese food with fresh ingredients and prices are fairly cheap. Bea’s Wok N Roll has many light and healthy options as well as vegetarian dishes which are perfect for a warm, spring day. 

GSA drag show 

Gay Straight Alliance is hosting a drag show titled “Innocent Until Proven Fabulous!” at the Carl Sandburg auditorium in the Holmes Student Center, 600 Lucinda Ave. The show will include students and professors dressed in drag for a night of fun, according to the event page. The doors open at 8:30 p.m. and the show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $20 at the door. A cash bar and snacks will also be available for purchase. 

Hopefully you get to enjoy a warm Saturday regardless of what you choose to do. Have a good weekend!