CCT Encore holding auditions, seeking NIU students

Childrens+Community+Theater+is+expanding+the+participant+age+range%2C+with+the+goal+of+involving+more+community+members+in+their+program.+

Getty Images

Children’s Community Theater is expanding the participant age range, with the goal of involving more community members in their program.

By Jermel Williams, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — Children’s Community Theater Encore is holding auditions for the musical Rent tonight from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Auditions will be held at There’s Fun in Store, located at 229 E Lincoln Hwy in downtown DeKalb. Auditions may also be submitted via video, and can be submitted through Wednesday night. Virtual auditionees can send their video submission to the CCT Encore director Liz Botts via email at [email protected]

In speaking about what is expected of auditionees tonight, “Just come out and be themselves. We are a really welcoming environment especially with rent having the message that everyone should be exempted for who they are no matter your gender, sexuality or race. We are really trying to embody that and want everyone who is interested in theater to come out and enjoy themselves and enjoy theater,” Botts said.

Anyone up to the age of 22 is welcome to audition, with no sign up required. It is asked that those who audition prepare to sing 16 bars from a song of their choice.

Recently the CCT has changed the age requirement from 18 to 22 years old. This change was made in hopes to have a larger group of community members involved in the program. 

“Children’s community theater has been around in DeKalb since the 1950s, and the current form of it would just go up to 18 years old and then kids would age out.” Botts said. “We know that a lot of people from the DeKalb area tend to go to NIU and we thought it would be a really good idea to have show options for people who age up and not out so they can still be involved.” 

The performances of the musical will take place from November 10th through November 13th, at the Egyptian Theater located at 135 N 2nd street, DeKalb IL.