NIU cornerback earns MAC West Defensive Player of the Week

Ivan Meza

Sophomore cornerback Eric Rogers intercepts a pass from EIU redshirt sophomore quarterback Jonah O’Brien in the second quarter of NIU’s season-opening game against the Eastern Illinois University Panthers on Sept. 1. (Ivan Meza | Northern Star).

DeKALB— NIU sophomore cornerback Eric Rogers was named Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week on Monday after key performance in the Huskies season opener. 

Rogers returned to the field for the Huskies on Thursday after missing most of last season due to an injury. Rogers made his presence known early when he intercepted Eastern Illinois University redshirt sophomore quarterback Jonah O’Brien, for the first interception of his collegiate career.

Later in the first half, Rogers made another interception, this time an over the shoulder catch on a ball that was overthrown. 

Roger’s two interceptions helped the Huskies keep control of the ball and was a big factor in NIU’s one possession win over EIU.

When asked how it felt to be back healthy for the season opener, “it’s great being back,” Roger said. “It felt really good just being able to play and being out there with my teammates and being able to make plays as the opportunity presented itself.”

Rogers and the Huskies return to Huskie Stadium on Sept. 17 where they will play the Vanderbilt Commodores.