Top 3 cozy films to watch this fall

Getty Images

Watching movies is an essential way to celebrate the changing of the season.

By Abigail Lamoreaux, Chief Copy Editor

Despite what the warm weather may have you believe, fall is fast approaching. The time for crunchy leaves and apple cider donuts creeps ever closer. What shall we do in our limited free time to celebrate fall? One of the easiest ways to get into the spirit of the season is cozying up to watch a fall-related movie. Here are my top three picks:

‘Clue’ (1985; Hulu, Amazon Prime)

This captivating, comedic murder mystery based on a board game is considered a classic for a reason. With an all-star cast including Tim Curry (Wadsworth), Madeline Kahn (Mrs. White), Eileen Brennan (Mrs. Peacock) and Christopher Lloyd (Professor Plum), this movie’s antics keep you on your toes and will have you wondering the famous question: “Whodunnit?” Fans of the film praise it for its silliness as well as its multiple endings. Which one is the “true” ending? That’s for you to decide. I recommend watching this on a rainy night for optimal vibes.

‘Matilda’ (1996; Hulu, Amazon Prime)

Based on the book by Roald Dahl, “Matilda” was nominated for seven awards and a winner of three, according to IMDb. Aside from its generally cozy vibes, the story follows Matilda, played by Mara Wilson, at the start of the school year, making this an obvious fall film to me. As she navigates classroom dynamics and tries to escape her abusive family, the discovery of her special power (telekinesis) only complicates matters, until her teacher, Miss Honey, learns about it. Directed by and starring national treasure Danny DeVito, this movie is a must-watch for all lovers of fantasy and found family.

‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ (1993; Disney+)

Perhaps I may be jumping the gun with this choice, especially as this movie is a dual Halloween-Christmas film, but I can’t help it. Chock-full of quotable references and mind-blowing claymation work, “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (directed by Henry Selick, not Tim Burton) is one of my comfort movies. Even those who haven’t seen it know of its cultural impact — Jack Skellington and his co-stars appear in over 1,000 merch items on the Hot Topic website.

The story follows Jack as he searches for a deeper purpose in life. Upon finding Christmastown, he believes his search is complete. This revelation does not come without a price, however, as sentient ragdoll Sally believes that Jack making Christmas with the citizens of Halloweentown will be a disaster. Lessons are learned; songs are sung; holiday cheer of all sorts is on full and proud display.