NIU Homecoming Block Party to be held in downtown DeKalb

Courtesy of Jennifer Groce

NIU Homecoming Block Party to be held in downtown DeKalb on Oct. 6.

NIU’s 115th homecoming will introduce over 40 festivities and events to welcome home Huskies in a week of celebration. 

The Huskies Homecoming Block Party will take place from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Oct. 6 on Second Street and Palmer Court in downtown DeKalb. The block party is hosted jointly by NIU and the DeKalb community. Admission to the event is free. 

There will be restaurants and shops open for attendees to check out from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m and a pre-party DJ will be there at 4 p.m. 

There will be many events such as the car show, pep rally, street dance and March of the Huskies which gives students a chance to gather together and cheer on their fellow Huskies as they march down Locust Street. 

“We wanted to create an event that brought the campus and community together,” said Jennifer Groce, director of community promotion for NIU. 

The Homecoming Block Party is for NIU students and DeKalb residents to get up close and personal with NIU’s student organizations and all the university has to offer. There will be activities for all ages.

“We hope all people who come can experience how great the support for NIU is. It’s a cool way to let the community see the great things we can do when we come together,” Groce said.

Those who want more information on the event can visit the NIU website.

Groce shared what she’s most looking forward to: “I am most excited for the pep rally at 6:15. The band will completely fill up Market Street and march downtown to the cheers of their fellow Huskies. It’s going to be a really special moment.”