NIU routs Chippewas to claim first home win

Women’s soccer matches 2021 wins total with 2-0 conference victory over CMU

Alyssa Queen

Junior midfielder Claudia Muessig kicks the ball past Central Michigan University freshman goalkeeper Emma Shingler during Sunday’s match at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. Muessig scored her fourth goal of the season to give NIU a 1-0 lead in the 29th minute. (Alyssa Queen | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The NIU women’s soccer team (5-4-2, 2-2 MAC) captured their third shutout victory on Sunday, winning 2-0 against Central Michigan University (1-8-2, 0-3-1 MAC).

Sunday’s game was one of the most dominant performances by the Huskies this season, maintaining ball possession for 60% of the game. This dominance was attributed to the 50-50 balls that were won by junior midfielder Abby Zipse along with freshman midfielder Aubrey Robertson.

“We had good possessions and good territory, we earned that,” head coach Michael O’Neill said. “And then the composure to move the ball forward like we did was key to the dominance of possession.”

There were two goals scored today, one in each half. The first half goal was scored within the 29th minute by junior midfielder Claudia Muessig.

Following a handball by CMU, Muessig set up to take the free kick as it was saved by CMU freshman goalkeeper Emma Shingler. Muessig handled the rebound and sniped the ball into the top right corner of the goal.

The game slowed down leading into and during the second half of play. That was until the 49th minute when the second goal of the game was scored by junior midfielder Jamie ward, assisted by Muessig. This was Ward’s first goal of the season.

“I think I went and touched the ball to Claudia and then she sent me over the top,” Ward said. “And I just knew I could beat the ball with my speed, and I just took a chance, and it went in. It was just a good team play.”

This victory follows the Huskies’ 1-4 loss to Ball State University on Thursday. NIU led 1-0 in the first 25 minutes after  Muessig scored its lone goal of the game, then conceded 4 straight goals.

“I think just going out, out and doing what we did in the first 25 minutes at Ball State because we were up 1-0.” Muessig said. “So, we just wanted to go out and win the first and second half, and fight for every ball.”

Sunday marked the Huskies’ first win against Central Michigan University since Oct. 14th, 2018, when the Huskies won 2-1 in DeKalb. The win was also NIU’s first home victory since Oct. 21, 2021. The Huskies defeated the Miami University RedHawks, 2-1, in that match.

The Huskies will continue MAC play at 3 p.m. Thursday when they visit Ohio University at Chessa Field in Athens, Ohio. The game will not be available to watch on any streaming platforms. Live statistics can be viewed on SIDEARM Sports.