Softball can’t capitalize, loses to Central Michigan

Then junior catcher Ellis Erickson (23) tosses the ball to the pitcher as Central Michigan University batters switch out on April 2, 2023. Erickson had two hits in a 6-5 loss to Central Michigan Sunday. (Northern Star File Photo)
Mingda Wu

NIU softball (3-7) fell short against the Central Michigan University Chippewas (1-4) leaving the bases loaded in the sixth and losing 6-5 to finish 1-4 in the South Alabama Tournament.

“Every loss matters,” said NIU softball head coach Christina Sutcliffe. ”We just need to make sure we learn information and figure out how to bounce back and grow.”

Central Michigan pulled away with a big third inning. A two-RBI single from redshirt senior infielder Skylar Coberley started the inning, followed by runs on a hit by pitch and a fielding error.

Coberley also had an RBI single in the second inning, followed by a run on a bases loaded walk.

The Huskies scored one run in each of the first five innings, but could not find home plate in their last two chances to match the Chippewas’ early six runs.

The bases were loaded for the Huskies with one out and trailing by one run in the top of the sixth. A pop-up and a groundout stranded all three runners before a one-two-three seventh inning sealed the defeat.

FROM THE CIRCLE

Central Michigan junior pitcher Madelyn Wallace started for the Chippewas and pitched 5.1 innings. Wallace allowed 11 hits and five runs while striking out three. Only two of the five runs were earned as the Chippewas committed five errors on the day.

Central Michigan senior pitcher Grace Lehto closed the game, allowing no base runners in the final 1.2 innings.

Senior pitcher Emily Dato started in the pitcher’s circle for the Huskies. Dato let in four runs, her third consecutive day doing so. The Munster, Indiana, native walked four batters and allowed 3 hits as all four runs allowed were earned.

Freshman pitcher Hannah Bolly pitched the remaining four innings, allowing two runs with one unearned. Bolly allowed three hits, two walks and three hit batters.

“We need to clean up the free bases and sharpen some finer details on defense,” Sutcliffe said. “Our offense is headed in the right direction but will always have room for improvement.”

HUSKIE HITTERS

NIU sophomore pitcher/outfielder Kiley Conner led the Huskies’ offense, recording two hits, two RBIs and a run.

Junior middle infielder/outfielder Jenna Turner and senior catcher/outfielder Ellis Erickson each recorded two hits and a run, but did not drive in any runs.

UP NEXT

The Huskies will not return to action until March 1. The Huskies will start their day at 12:30 p.m. to face Southern Illinois University in their first game of the Western Kentucky Hilltopper Spring Fling Tournament.