Huskies defeated by Ohio University in road battle

Courtesy of Scott Walstrom | NIU Media Services

Redshirt senior running back Clint Ratkovich runs down the field during NIU’s game on Sept. 11 at Huskie Stadium against Wyoming.

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

ATHENS, OHIO – Ohio University handed the Huskies their sixth loss of the season to dampen NIU’s chances of making a bowl game this season. The Bobcats won 24-17.

Bobcats’ redshirt junior quarterback Kurtis Rourke completed an eight-yard pass to graduate student wide receiver Sam Wiglusz for a touchdown on Ohio’s opening drive. 

Redshirt junior kicker John Richardson kicked a 38-yard field goal to give the Huskies their first points in the second quarter, bringing the score to 7-3.

After the NIU field goal, Ohio attempted a field goal of its own. Freshman kicker Nathanial Vakos missed a 41-yard attempt.

Richardson kicked a 27-yard field goal to bring NIU within one to make the score 7-6.

Vakos kicked a 31-yard field goal in the final seconds of the first half to extend Ohio’s lead to 10-6.

Richardson started the first half 3-for-3 on field goals. He started the second half by kicking a 45-yard field goal to cut the Bobcat lead to 10-9.

Rourke rushed for a one-yard touchdown on Ohio’s first possession of the second half.

Junior wide receiver Kacper Rutkiewicz rushed for an 11-yard touchdown, the Huskies’ first touchdown of the game. Senior wide receiver Shemar Thornton completed a pass to redshirt senior Cole Tucker to score the two-point conversion for the Huskies to tie the game at 17.

Rourke and Wiglusz connected again for a score, this time a 22-yard touchdown. The score put the Bobcats ahead 24-17 in the fourth quarter.

The Huskies forced a three-and-out for the Bobcats after turning the ball over with under two minutes to play. NIU got the football back with a minute left in the game.

The Huskies failed to gain a first down on their final drive, turning the ball over on downs and giving the ball back to Ohio.

The Bobcats knelt in victory formation to run out the remaining time on the clock, sealing a 24-17 win for Ohio.

NIU will face Central Michigan University next at 6 p.m. Nov. 2 at home in Huskie Stadium. Live stats can be accessed via SIDEARM Stats. The game will be streamed on CBS Sports.