DeKalb Public Library to host Jazz in Progress concert

Jazz+in+Progress+to+perform+at+6%3A30+p.m.+on+Oct.+29+at+the+DeKalb+Public+Library+in+the+main+lobby.+

Getty Images

Jazz in Progress to perform at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 29 at the DeKalb Public Library in the main lobby.

By Tyler Murray, Sports Reporter

DeKALB — Make sure to swing by the DeKalb Public Library this Saturday for their After-Hours jazz concert performed by Jazz in Progress (JIP) from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in the main lobby. 

The organization will feature a variety of styles ranging from big band to modern jazz. 

JIP is a nonprofit organization that looks to educate and give back to the local communities. The organization was formed in 2012 with the goal of encouraging musicians to play jazz in order to fulfill its goals of education and advancing the appreciation of the genre. JIP also intends to teach the history of the music through its playing, according to the library’s event page

The organization encourages young musicians to practice jazz by inviting local high school and college musicians to sit in with their band. JIP looks to give these students the opportunity and experience of playing jazz. 

The JIP has performed at a number of fundraisers such as the St. Marys Lancer Legacy Ball and the Northwestern Medicine Kishwaukee Hospital. The group has donated to local music programs such as the DeKalb and Sycamore music booster organizations. 

Doors open at 6:00 p.m. The concert is free and open to the community, no registration is required. For more information contact Samantha Hathaway at [email protected] or visit the DeKalb Public Library website.