SA looks to fill existing spaces

By Jayna Ronayne

NIU’s Student Association is looking for seven students to fill existing spaces in the SA Senate.

Four SA senators from last semester, Dave Ivers, Donielle Gary, Daniel Fuhrman and Teobaldo Padilla, resigned their positions in the SA government.

SA Vice President John Quilico said there are 33 active senators with seven vacant seats available. There are seven seats open because three seats have been vacant since November.

SA bylaws state that if a senator withdraws from the senate within 30 days of the end of the semester, that seat cannot be filled until the next semester begins.

SA President Preston Came said he is pleased with the turnout of new applications for filling the positions. Between 15 and 20 students have applied, he said.

“It’s great that there are a lot of applications for second semester,” he said.

Came explained the different processes in which senate seats are filled.

“There is usually either a new election called or the existing holes are just filled. With only six or so positions open, it’s useless to have an election.”

Quilico said filling the senate spaces is a simple process which will be overseen by SA Speaker Michael Starzec and SA Minority Relations Adviser Nolan Hendreson.

The process involves opening the seats, allowing people to apply and reviewing the candidates.

“They’ve pretty much gone through the deputy pool,” Quilico said. “The applicants will be reviewed as to which best represent the vacant seats, and also to try and have a more diversified senate.”

Quilico also said there might be names brought up at Sunday’s SA meeting.

“Hopefully, we will have some names,” he said. “We do have at least 15 to 20 applications in.”