SGA dissolves committee, approves new senator

The University Services Oversight Committee will cease to exist after passage of a new bill

The+Student+Government+Association+is+located+in+the+Holmes+Student+Center+ground+floor+in+the+OASIS+space.+

Northern Star File Photo

The Student Government Association is located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space.

By Evan Mellon, News Reporter

The SGA passed a bill on Friday to dissolve the University Services Oversight Committee and have its responsibilities taken over by Campus Life and Greek Affairs Committee.

The SGA bylaws read that the USO Committee is “concerned with the improvement of all services and policies provided by the University for students and for any other matter that is pertinent to these services.” Their primary focus has been to advise the university in regards to the services they provide, such as campus dining, tutoring and the huskie bus line.

Deputy Speaker Ethan DeMeuse said that while the USO committee had previously been active, recent lack of activity caused the senate to reexamine the relevance it held in the present.

“The USO committee is currently not meeting,” said DeMeuse, who co-authored the bill. “The stuff that pertains to it existing still can fit under the definition of campus life. It’s a lot of services around campus.”

According to the bill, the duties that the USO previously had are to be delegated to the Committee on Campus Life and Greek Affairs effective immediately.

“The Committee on Campus Life and Greek Affairs shall be concerned with developing recommendations on making this institution a more desirable one to attend,” the bill reads. “This committee shall be responsible for the advancement of the University in all areas except those that are the duty of another standing committee, including university services and policies.”

Senator Atlas Babcock, who also co-authored the bill, confirmed that senators who previously belonged to the USO committee will be moved to the CLGA committee if they can attend the CLGA meetings.

The SGA also confirmed a new senator representing University Housing to the Senate.

Paris Martin, a first-year biological sciences major, was approved by the SGA to become a new member of the Senate. Senators are responsible for writing and passing legislation on behalf of the SGA.

“I’m running to be in Senate to represent all students, especially the students that are in my community, which will also include women, African American, the Latinx community as well as the LGBTQ community,” Martin said. “I also want to advocate for those who need someone for them or unable to advocate for themselves or are scared to advocate for themselves as well.”

SGA meetings are open to the public and held weekly at NIU, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available online.