Watch an NIU Banda and Mariachi concert, learn tree trimming this Saturday

Getty Images

NIU Banda and NIU Mariachi will be performing a concert with Sones de México at 7 p.m. on Nov. 19 in the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall at the Music Building.

By Nick Glover, Lifestyle Editor

With fresh snow on the ground, you may want to go out and spend the day somewhere warm doing something fun. This Saturday, there are many great things to do in DeKalb. 

OPEN ART WORKSHOP AT THE DEKALB PUBLIC LIBRARY 

From 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. the DeKalb Public Library, 309 Oak St., will be hosting a free event that centers on creating self-guided art. 

The program will give free art supplies to anyone who attends From paint to yarn, to magazines, the library has got it covered.

The event is made for everyone to come and make art. There will be assistance for anyone who wants help with their art pieces. 

For more information contact Iris Espinoza at [email protected]

TREE TRIMMING 101 CLASS WITH WILLRETT FLOWER COMPANY 

At 1 p.m. the Willrett Flower Company, 302 E. Lincoln Highway will be hosting a class on tree trimming.

Willrett Flower Company is a woman-owned business that provides floral decor for all sorts of events.

The class is free and open to the public, though Willrett Flower Company requests that people register on Eventbrite

In this class, people will learn how to better shape Christmas trees to their liking and find some helpful tips and tricks to make the design process easier.

For more information, email Willrett Flower Company at [email protected] 

NIU BANDA AND MARIACHI CONCERT WITH SONES DE MÉXICO 

At 7 p.m. the Banda NIU and Mariachi NIU ensembles will be hosting a concert with shared collaborator Sones de México in the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall at the Music Building. 

The two ensembles play styles of regional Mexican folk music. 

The Mariachi style features a horn, violin, guitar, guitarrón and vihuela. 

Banda is a style similar to Mariachi but it uses exclusively wind instruments such as trumpets and clarinets plus percussion and vocals. 

The Banda and Mariachi ensembles will pair up with Sones de México.

Sones de México is a Chicago-based Mexican folk band that focuses on educating people about Mexican folk music. 

The event is sponsored by the Illinois Arts Council Agency with co-sponsors the Center for Latino and Latin American Studies, Friends of the NIU Libraries, Undocumented Student Support and the Latino Resource Center. 

Tickets are $5 for the general public, $3 for non-NIU students and free for NIU students and are available at the NIU ticketing website. For more information, email Thomas Koron at [email protected]