Harrison Waylee enters transfer portal

NIU’s leading rusher leaves program

Sean Reed

Sophomore running back Harrison Waylee runs out of bounds during NIU’s loss to the University of Toledo in the 115th Homecoming Game on Oct. 8 at Huskie Stadium. Waylee rushed for 899 yards in 2022. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

By Skyler Kisellus, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – Sophomore running back Harrison Waylee, NIU’s leading rusher in two of the past three seasons, is leaving NIU football, the tailback announced on Friday on Twitter.

“I want to thank Coach (Thomas) Hammock for believing in me out of high school and for all the other members of the coaching and support staff here at NIU for making my three years a great experience,” Waylee said. “Over the last three years, I have grown as a player, student, and person as a result of this community.”

Waylee has two seasons of NCAA eligibility remaining. Waylee played in 11 of NIU’s 12 games, starting six of those games, as the Huskies went 3-9 and fell short of bowl eligibility and an expected berth in the Mid-American Conference Championship.

Friday’s announcement also marks the second straight season that NIU’s leading rusher has made their exit via the transfer portal. The Huskies’ top tailback in 2021, Jay Ducker, left to join the University of Memphis Tigers last offseason.

Waylee rushed for a career-high 899 yards and five touchdowns on 165 carries. He ran for a career-best 230 yards and three touchdowns in NIU’s 44-38 loss to Ball State University in double overtime on Oct. 1.

Waylee is the ninth NIU player to enter the transfer portal this offseason. He is the second running back to do so after fellow sophomore running back Mason Blakemore announced his intended departure from the program on Sunday.

Along with Waylee, redshirt junior fullback Brett Bostad also entered his name into the transfer portal per his announcement on Wednesday via Twitter. Bostad played in four games this season but did not record any statistics.

The NCAA transfer window will officially open Monday and remain open for 45 days.