SGA distributes $171,000 in unspent funds, $75,000 to CAB

The+Student+Government+Association+is+located+in+the+Holmes+Student+Center+ground+floor+in+the+OASIS+space.+

Northern Star File Photo

The Student Government Association is located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space.

By Evan Mellon, News Reporter

DeKALB – The Student Government Association has chosen to allocate $75,000 to the Campus Activities Board.

The SGA did not spend the entirety of their funds from last year, meaning that the remaining funds moved over to the current year and are available to spend.

According to the SGA bylaws, SGA funding is distributed each year to help fund organizations and departments, allowing them to afford events and promotions. If an organization or department does not use all of the funds given to them by the SGA at the end of each fiscal year, those funds go back to the SGA.

“SGA leadership had the chance to meet with Abby Lund, who is the fee manager for our fee group, and we realized that our previous policy of unspent funds from the fiscal year not rolling over had changed,” said Speaker of the Senate Dallas Douglass. “So, we had $212,000 in unspent revenue.”

The largest amount of the unspent funds, a total of $75,000, are being directed to CAB. According to the board’s website, CAB is a student-run organization dedicated to organizing events and activities for NIU students throughout the year, such as the October Waka Flocka Flame concert and the series of A Night at Holmes events.

“We (CAB) have lots and lots of big events planned for next semester that we’re working on,” said Senator and CAB member Aidan O’Brien. “So, without a doubt, that funding will be used since we’re moving to more big events that get students more excited.”

The $41,000 that remains unallocated will be available for the SGA to distribute to other areas as they see fit throughout the upcoming semester and are not tied to one use in particular.

In addition, sophomore accounting major James Innis has been approved as the new chief of staff for the SGA.

Innis will be leaving his current position on the senate’s university at-large seat to fulfill the role of chief of staff, which, according to the bylaws, works under the direction of the president to oversee the executive branch and staff, assist the president with issues relating to staffing and SGA committees, and other tasks related to staffing.

“For the next semester, I would like the directors in the cabinet to use the resources available to them to host events and both build bonds with the student body and the SGA,” Innis said.

The appointment of Innis will officially take effect on Dec. 12.