How to reject diet culture

By Sarah Rose, Managing Editor

Diet culture existed long before it got its name. The harmful belief that skinny is better promotes the unrealistic expectation that there’s an “ideal” body image. This concept can be pernicious to people of all genders, ages and sizes, and most people probably don’t realize it’s affecting them. 

“Many people don’t realize that certain behaviors they are engaging in are actually from diet culture. Things like counting calories/macros, choosing entrees with the lowest number of calories when eating out, choosing exercises based on how many calories they burn, weighing yourself frequently, or describing a day of eating as “good” or “bad” are all from diet culture,” said Stacia Tietje, a second-year master’s student in nutrition and dietetics and a dietetic intern. “All of these behaviors base your worth on your weight and eating habits, which is not true.”

The history of diet culture goes back hundreds of years. Humans would pay attention to what they were consuming in order to have a healthy mind as well as a healthy body. In the early 1900s, beauty depended on the shape of the physical body. Men and women would starve themselves during the day to fit into society’s perception of “the perfect body.” Fast forward a hundred years later, and the world doesn’t look entirely different. 

“Dieting doesn’t typically lead to long-term weight loss, plus it can lead to disordered eating and eating disorders,” Tietje said. “Chronic dieting leads to weight gain and lowered metabolism. Dieting can also increase binges and cravings and lower self-esteem and self-trust.”

Diet culture primarily harms women, trans folks, people with larger bodies and people of color because society’s perception of the “perfect body” is usually a thin white person.

Rejecting diet culture is about unlearning the beliefs that society has instilled in our minds. It’s vital to be surrounded by people that make one feel valued, safe and seen. Consider getting rid of friends who shame or make someone feel unworthy because of their body.

“I’ve actually logged my food for the last four years pretty much every day. I think my relationship with food has shifted with being an athlete,” said Emily Larrivee, a first-year operations and information management major. “As I started athletics I would go online to look for workouts and I definitely was exposed to a lot of diet culture. As a 14-year-old, you’re looking at your body and you’re like ‘Oh I didn’t know I needed this or whatever those things are online.”

The body is meant to be listened to. A growling stomach isn’t the only sign of hunger. Other indications can include lightheadedness, fatigue or a mood change. No one should feel guilty for eating or giving in to particular cravings.

“A great way to reject diet culture is by engaging in intuitive eating, listening to your body to determine when you are hungry and full, and listening to your cravings,” Tietje said.

Food is a means of celebration and satisfaction; focus on the positives instead of the negatives. Self-love and body positivity play prominent roles in reversing the effects of diet culture. By practicing having a positive body image, a shift in inner dialogue will follow.