Day of Mourning planned for today

By Linda Warchal

Today is the day students should don their black clothes and attend the mourning ceremony scheduled for noon.

Student Association Public Relations Adviser Rebecca Bahr said the SA will conduct a “mock funeral” this afternoon in the King Memorial Commons.

“We’re hoping the funeral will convey the message of bringing back intellectual integrity and academic excellence from the grave,” Bahr said.

SA senators will carry the caskets for academic excellence and intellectual integrity from the SA office to the commons. Eulogies will be delivered by SA staff, and other students will have the opportunity to speak.

Senate speaker Mike Starzec said he will speak at the “Day of Mourning,” as well as the Board of Regents meeting.

“Day of Mourning” will occur on the day of the Regents meeting when such issues as the Student Life Building will be discussed.

Starzec said he will mention to the Regents that students need more information on the Student Life Building. He said he would like to know if the Regents can refinance the SLB.

He also said he wants to ask the Regents to be advocates of students dealing with new tuition policies.

This is in conjunction with a resolution passed by the SA Senate with a vote of acclamation calling to alter the practice of tuition collection.

Senior Thomas Gary, political science major, said he will also speak at the demonstration.

“I hope people see how money is being spent and misspent and after they see this, they’ll come to be more vociferous in their indignation,” Gary said.