SGA appoints election commissioner, deputy speaker and clerk

Cheyanne Quintanilla

The Student Government Association Speaker of the Senate, Dallas Douglass (left), converses with newly appointed Clerk of the Senate, Chris English, near the end of Friday’s SGA meeting in the Sky Room of the Holmes Student Center. (Cheyanne Quintanilla | Northern Star)

By Evan Mellon, News Reporter

DeKALB – Following the appointment of the board of elections, the Student Government Association has appointed its election commissioner and appointed senators to fill missing spaces in the Senate.

Senator Ethan DeMuse was appointed to the role of election commissioner after stepping down from his role as deputy speaker on Jan. 20.

The election commissioner’s primary job is to work with the board of elections to raise awareness for and run the elections for SGA.

Senator Debbie Allen was also appointed to the position of deputy speaker, stepping down from the clerk position.

According to the bylaws, the deputy speaker’s responsibilities include coordinating the activities of senators, assisting the speaker with their duties and carrying out the duties of speaker of the senate when the speaker is absent.

Senator Chris English was appointed to replace Allen as clerk of the senate.

The clerk of the senate is responsible for maintaining all Senate records and managing the SGA constitution and bylaws to ensure that they are up to date.

“One of the things I think I will strive to do better is the timeliness of publishing the minutes,” English said. “Due to a variety of reasons, they weren’t published consistently or immediately after. My goal will be to, within the week before the next meeting, to have those meetings out.”

Additionally, the SGA also appointed Historian Atlas Babcock to the position of sergeant-at-arms, whose job is to maintain order and maintain Senate rules during meetings.

The sergeant-at-arms is not a paid position, meaning that Babcock will remain Historian while in this new role.

SGA meetings are open to the public and held at 2 p.m. on Fridays, with locations posted in the senate’s agendas. SGA minutes and intent to speak forms are available on Huskie Hub.