Huskies net victories in Beauty and the Beast Tri-Meet

Cheyanne Quintanilla

NIU sophomore gymnast Isabella Sissi completes her floor performance on Saturday at the Huskies’ Beauty and the Beast meet at the NIU Convocation Center. Sissi earned 9.875 points for her floor routine and second place all-around for the meet. (Cheyanne Quintanilla | Northern Star)

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

DeKALB – NIU gymnastics took home the Beauty and the Beast Tri-Meet crown Saturday with victories over Kent State University and Simpson College.

The Huskies scored a cumulative 195.375 points while Kent State recorded 195.025 for second place. Simpson scored 185.175 cumulative points.

NIU junior Alyssa Al-Ashari led the way for the Huskies with another strong individual performance. Al-Ashari scored 9.925 on the uneven parallel bars and 9.875 on beam, finishing first overall in both events. 

Senior Natalie Hamp finished second behind Al-Ashari in the bars event, one week after winning the Mid-American Conference Specialist of the Week award. Hamp individually scored 9.850 points. The Huskies as a team scored 48.900 on bars.

Sophomore Isabella Sissi was NIU’s lone all-around performer on Saturday, contributing 39.125 to the Huskies’ total. Sissi’s top two scores came from the floor exercise and balance beam events, scoring 9.875 and 9.825, respectively.

Sophomore Emmalise Nock finished first overall in the floor exercise event with a score of 9.950. Three Huskies finished in the top four for floor exercise, including Nock, Sissi and junior Olivia Lynd.

The Huskies improve to 6-2 overall and 2-1 in the conference this season. Saturday’s victories extend their win streak to five.

NIU gymnastics’ next meet will be at 1 p.m. on Feb. 12 in Muncie, Indiana, as they will face the Ball State University Cardinals.