Fill in the Blank: Valentine’s Day is…

Getty Images

Sets of dice which spell out the words “I Love You” and “I Hate You” being balanced between the words love and hate.

By Angelina Padilla-Tompkins, Editor-in-Chief

… Special

Valentine’s Day is a day of love. As cringeworthy as that sounds, it’s the truth. The holiday is dedicated to expressing your love and appreciation for others.

A common misconception about Valentine’s Day is that it’s only for those in a committed relationship.

Valentine’s Day is not tied to one specific type of relationship. Love is love, whether it’s between significant others, a parent and their children, friends or siblings.

Elementary schools promote the holiday by encouraging kids to pass out Valentine cards and candy to their classmates. This act encourages friendship and inclusion among the young students, further promoting the idea that Valentine’s Day is a day for everyone.

Families and friends can find ways to celebrate the holiday together by going out to dinner, having a movie night, or simply going on a walk together. There are many ways to make the day fun and feel special, regardless of the type of love.

… Stressful

There are pressures on Valentine’s Day, as many feel that they are expected to deliver in an extravagant way. The image of a perfect night out paired with gifts and flowers and chocolate can be daunting for many people.

The pressure to measure up the media’s image of Valentine’s Day can be stressful.

One person sees another couple’s date night post on Instagram, so they then feel they have to do the same, creating a chain of unnecessary stress.

These comparisons can lead to frustration, dissatisfaction and insecurity, when in hindsight it is just one holiday, one day out of the year. Comparing your life and relationships to others will never improve yours.

Having such high expectations can lead to disappointment and tension. Big romantic gestures do not make or break the holiday, and the pressure of a “perfect night” is too much to place on a person’s shoulders.