Huskies dominate at Badger Invitational

DeKALB – NIU women’s track and field won three events in the final indoor meet before the MAC Indoor Championships the season at the Badger Invitational in Madison, Wisconsin.

Junior Scout Regular continued her impressive season with another top three finish in the 60-meter hurdles. Regular finished in first place with a time of 8.59 seconds in the final indoor meet before next week’s MAC Championship. 

Regular has yet to finish outside of the top three in the 60-meter hurdles this indoor season, and she will look to continue her streak on the MAC’s biggest stage in Bowling Green next weekend. 

Fifth-year Kadeja Campbell was the second Huskie athlete to earn a first place finish in this meet, achieving first place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.78 seconds. Junior Malia Watkins was the second place finisher in the 200-meter dash behind Campbell with a time of 25.11 seconds. 

In the 400-meter dash, the Huskies achieved a sweep of the event, as they took the first, second and third place finishes with senior Christine Irving taking first place and a time of 58.22 seconds. Sophomore Roshell Rowe was the second place finisher with a time of 58.47 seconds, and sophomore Talayssia Sanders finished in third with a time of 59.37 seconds. 

Fifth-year Dymier Jeffrey was the runner up in the high jump, as she tied her personal best with a jump of 1.65 meters. The Badger Invitational meet was the first time Jeffrey had broken the 1.60 meter barrier since the Huskies traveled to DePaul University on Jan. 20. 

Jeffrey also competed in the 200-meter dash, placing eighth and gaining a new personal record in the event, with a time of 26.95 seconds. 

In the 60-meter dash, junior Skylynn Blue was the third place finisher with a time of 7.69 seconds. Graduate student Suerethia Henderson finished in fourth behind Blue with a time of 7.70 seconds. Regular closed out the top five with a time of 7.83 seconds. 

The Huskies had success in the field events in the invitational, as the high jump, long jump and triple jump all produced two top-five finishers. For the high jump, sophomore Henriette Halwas took fifth place with a jump of 1.50 meters. 

In long jump, fifth-year Diamond Riley finished in second place with a jump of 5.62 meters and junior Lovie Annafi finished right behind her teammate in third with a jump of 5.12 meters. Junior Kendall Only finished in second place for the triple jump, as she jumped 11.38 meters and her teammate, freshman Aniya Barton, finished in fifth place with a jump of 10.31 meters. 

“Several moved up on the conference list and have inked a spot to travel (to the conference meet),” said NIU Director of Track and Field Connie Teaberry. “Others improved, but we will have to wait for scratches to know their conference fate. No complaints, good or bad times or marks, they definitely left everything on the track.” 

The Huskies will travel to Bowling Green, Ohio, for the MAC Indoor Championships Friday and Saturday at the Perry Field House.