Softball held scoreless in first day of Liberty tournament

Marco Sotelo Avila

Junior Emily Dato pitches during the Huskie’s first game against Bradley University softball in Sept. 2022. This game was a double header, and the team’s fifth game of the fall season. (Marco Sotelo Avila | Northern Star)

DeKALB Marshall University junior catcher Autumn Owen blasted two home runs en route to a  5-0 victory over NIU (1-6, 0-0). Owen hit a home run in both the first and sixth inning, going 2-for-3 with three RBIs (runs batted in). Owen accounted for three out of the four RBIs in the Marshall (9-2, 0-0) win.

At the start of the fourth inning, Owen scored following a fielder’s choice and a misthrow to third. Owen continued to lead Marshall past the Huskies with a home run in the first and a run scored in the fourth.

Marshall redshirt senior pitcher Sydney Nester pitched all seven innings against the Huskies, only allowing one hit with seven strikeouts. Nester is currently 6-1 as a starting pitcher this season for Marshall.

NIU freshman pitcher Lily Cassell took the mound for the Huskies and let up four hits and three earned runs. 

NIU batters struggled against Marshall with only one hit out of 21 at-bats. The Huskies reached base with four walks.

GAME VS LIBERTY

Liberty University routed NIU 8-0 on the first day of the Liberty tournament as the Huskies gave up seven earned runs with four of them coming from the fifth inning. The Liberty Flames were led by junior first baseman Sierra Kersten and sophomore outfielder Rachel Roupe, who combined for five RBIs.

Liberty redshirt sophomore shortstop Raigan Barrett started the fifth inning by scoring on a wild pitch with the bases loaded, advancing the other runners to second and third base. Following a walk, Kersten doubled to left center, driving in three runs for the Flames to go up 6-0 on the Huskies.

Roupe capped off the Flames’ fifth-inning rally with a two-run home run to left field. Roupe batted 1-for-2 on the day and brought the Flames’ lead to 8-0.

Huskie pitchers struggled against the Flames, letting up seven earned runs and five walks. NIU freshman pitcher Danielle Stewart had a rough start for the Huskies, giving up five hits and three earned runs in four innings of work.

NIU junior pitcher Emily Dato took over on the mound in the fifth inning, but the Flames’ offense continued to dominate. Dato gave up four earned runs, two coming from Roupe in the fifth.

Huskie batters struggled in the second game as well, as they secured only one hit. NIU totaled two hits on Friday.

The Huskies take on Elon University in a doubleheader day for the second day of the tournament. The first game commences at 9 a.m. and the second game commences at 11 a.m. Live stats will be available via statbroadcast.