Unpopular Opinion: Six Flags is overrated

Wikimedia Commons

The Six Flags ride The Wild One with riders who have their hands up as it drops over a curve.

By Emily Beebe, Assistant Editor

While Six Flags is beloved by many people, I think it is overrated. 

It is overrated because of the prices, the speed of the rides and the heights.

Six Flags Great America has many rollercoasters and rides. They have family rides, thrill rides and even kids rides. One ride that is most popular at Six Flags Great America is Goliath.

One time I went on a ride at my town’s festival, and it was a ride that went up in the air. It raised up and then went side to side and upside down. Mind you, I do not like heights at all. When I was on the ride, I started screaming my head off, to the point where probably the whole town could hear me. Once the ride was done and I had gotten off, I was so traumatized because the heights scared me.

Rides and rollercoasters go really fast, and I do not like the speed of rides because it makes me really terrified.

The anticipation of rides is not fun. When rides go really fast speed wise, it raises the anticipation of the ride and I do not like feeling of the anticipation because it makes me feel anxious. 

The anticipation makes my heart rate get really high and makes me want to faint. Even though others may enjoy the anticipation, it brings no joy to me.

Some rides also have low quality construction. Sometimes in the news they talk about a ride that gets stuck up in the air or falls apart and just the thought of that makes me really anxious, especially if I imagine that I was on the ride at the time. 

Six Flags is also really expensive. A single day ticket starts at $39.99 and that is without parking, gas or food included. Six Flags also offers passes where you get more perks included with the pass, such as parking included and discounts on food and merchandise but the passes cost a lot of money. 

Six Flags offers gold, platinum and diamond passes. The gold pass is $74.99, the platinum pass is $99.99 and the diamond pass is $149.99. For college students with not a lot of money, these prices are out of the question. 

Six Flags also has really long lines for the rides. Both the platinum and diamond passes include a Skip the Line pass, but both the platinum and diamond passes are the two most expensive passes. 

Food at Six Flags is also really expensive. If you are already spending easily $50 to get in, why would you want to spend more money on food?

Even just the thought of rollercoasters and even rides in general makes me really terrified. Watching people go up and down and get tossed around in the air makes me want to throw up.