University Council considers new minor, dissolving old major

Evan Mellon

Executive Vice President Faculty Senate President Ismael Montana (left) and Provost Beth Ingram listen to SGA Speaker Dallas Douglas give a report detailing SGA’s recent activities to the university council. (Evan Mellon | Northern Star)

By Evan Mellon, News Reporter

DeKALB – According to a report from the University Advisory Committee to the Board of Trustees, a request has been made to dissolve two academic programs and add another.

The UACBOT, which is responsible for advising the Board of Trustees, created a request to dissolve the hospitality and tourism management program.

According to Associate Professor and Faculty Senate President Ismael Montana, the program has been closed for enrollment since 2021 and is being offered as an emphasis in the bachelor of science in business administration program.

Additionally, the request aims to delete the master of science in taxation program from the academic catalog. The program was offered by the department of accountancy and aimed to educate students on taxation in professional and administrative environments.

“Enrollment in this program has declined to the point where it is no longer sustainable, and in fact has been closed for enrollment for a couple of years,” Montana said.

The request also aims to add a new minor in sports medicine. The program would be offered by the department of kinesiology and physical education if added.

Also during the meeting, Student Government Association’s Speaker Dallas Douglass gave a report detailing SGA’s recent activities to the University Council.

“For anybody who knows student organizations who are looking for funding, we have available to us a larger than average amount of funding due to rollover from COVID,” Douglas said. “So we’re looking to get student organizations involved and literally invest in students here on campus.”

Douglas also brought attention to the upcoming SGA elections being held March 28 and 29.

“We’re really wanting to get students to run in the elections, so if you’re thinking of, in your mind, a student who would be a great candidate for SGA, send them my way,” Douglass said.

For questions about SGA elections, students should contact the election commissioner at [email protected].

University council will meet again on April 1.