Softball downs USF in tournament finale

By Zachary Bertram, Senior Sports Reporter

DeKALB – The Huskies (6-9) wrapped up their play in the University of South Florida tournament with a 6-4 win over South Florida (9-10), snapping the Bulls’ five-game win streak. NIU was able to grab its third win of the tournament, led by a two hit, two RBI (runs batted in) performance from junior first baseman Caitlyn Shumaker. 

Junior pitcher Claire Norred got the start and the win for the Huskies, allowing three earned runs on five hits in 5.1 innings pitched. Freshman pitcher Jaden Martinez started for South Florida, giving up two hits and no runs in just 2.1 innings pitched. 

The Huskies got the scoring started with two unearned runs in the top of the third inning. Junior center fielder Courtney James scored on a fielder’s choice off the bat of freshman third baseman Cara Cruthers. Shumaker followed Cruthers with a single to score freshman left fielder Ally Rodriguez, giving NIU a 2-0 lead. 

The Huskies extended their lead by scoring three more runs in the top of the fifth inning. Cruthers picked up her second RBI of the day with a single to score freshman utility player Danielle Stewart. Shumaker followed by notching her second RBI with a double to score James. Senior second baseman Sam Mallinder hit a sacrifice fly, scoring Cruthers and giving the Huskies a 5-0 advantage. The Huskies added one more run in the top of the sixth inning – an RBI single from senior shortstop Kelly Walinski – to extend the lead to 6-0.

The Bulls began to mount a comeback in the bottom half of the sixth, cutting the Huskie lead in half. Redshirt senior right fielder Meghan Sheehan launched a three-run homer to make it a 6-3 ball game. Junior first baseman Alyssa Rano followed with a single, ending Norred’s day in the pitcher’s circle. Stewart relieved Norred and ended the inning immediately. Stewart struck out freshman utility player Camille Ortiz-Martinez, and junior catcher Ellis Erickson threw out Rano at second base for the double play.

USF junior shortstop Marissa Trivelpiece hit a solo home run in the bottom of the seventh to cut the Huskie lead down to two. Stewart was able to get the next two batters out, sealing the win for NIU.

The Huskies will travel to Saint Louis next weekend to participate in the Saint Louis University tournament. NIU will take on Bradley at 11 a.m. and Saint Louis at 3 p.m. on Saturday. They will play both schools again on Sunday, facing Bradley at 11 a.m. and Saint Louis at 1 p.m. Live stats will be available via SideArmStats.