Egyptian Theatre donates to local ensembles

Courtesy of the Egyptian Theatre

The Sycamore High School Jazz Band on stage during Jazz at the Egyptian. The band was one of three to receive an $1,000 donation from the Egyptian Theatre.

By Eli Tecktiel, Lifestyle Writer

On Feb. 4, The Egyptian Theatre hosted its sixth annual Jazz at the Egyptian concert. The event included performances by the DeKalb and Sycamore high school jazz ensembles, the Northern Illinois University Jazz Orchestra and Jazz in Progress, a local ensemble with a focus on charity work.

The event served as a fundraiser for music programs at local schools. Proceeds from ticket sales supported programs at DeKalb High School, Sycamore High School and the Northern Illinois University Jazz Orchestra. A donation of $1000 was contributed to each respective program. In the six years since the event’s inception, donations to these programs have totaled over $16,000.

“The need for arts in our community is continuously growing,” Alex Nerad, the Egyptian Theatre’s executive director, said in a press release. “This Jazz program has proved to be incredibly beneficial for the youth of Dekalb County, which is why we find it so important to fiscally support and inspire them to be true artists.”