Pass/Fail: Red Cross makes donating to the Philippines easy to do, Professors assigning term papers on top of final exams

By Danny Cozzi

Pass: Red Cross makes donating to the Philippines easy to do

Following the brutal Typhoon Haiyan that struck the Philippines, the American Red Cross and Facebook sprung into action by placing a donation link on Facebook home pages.

The quick access for Facebook users to be charitable likely spread the seriousness of the storm’s effects and hopefully other people’s response.

By having the link literally right in front of you, it keeps the issue on your mind and makes it as easy as humanly possible to be generous to those who suffered treacherous destruction and loss of life.

Even if you don’t donate the suggested $10, every single dollar you do give goes toward rebuilding these people’s lives. Do what you can to help the people who lost nearly everything.

Fail: Professors assigning term papers on top of final exams

Why professors assign final papers as well as final exams is something about college I will never understand.

Four of my five class syllabi list term paper due dates followed only days later by scheduled final exams. The only logical explanation is my professors got together and decided to conspire against me. Bravo.

But in all seriousness, I cannot stand when professors assign two finals in one class. Call it a case of severe indecision or downright psychopathy, but forcing students to double their worries is too much.

I think it’s time professors decide on only one terrible way to stress their students to near death instead of toying with their psyches with final exams and papers.

Maybe it’s my fault for being an English major, but the reason I chose writing was to avoid testing.