Relief fund donations for undocumented students closes Thursday

Bridgette Fox

The entrance to the Undocumented Student Resource Center in the Peters Campus Life Building. The center’s drive for the immediate relief fund closes 11:59 p.m. Thursday. (Bridgette Fox | Northern Star)

By Caleb Johnson, Lifestyle Writer

DeKALB – The Undocumented Student Resource Center is providing assistance to students in need with emergency funds from its Immediate Assistance Relief Fund for Undocumented Students.

The fund is used to help undocumented students with funding for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals permits. Students can also use the funds for other instances such as broken glasses or books for class.

Anyone is allowed to make donations to the fund via the Huskies United webpage for the USRC. Donations will be accepted between 4:25 p.m. Wednesday and 11:59 p.m. Thursday.

“This is something to help support our undocumented students who may not be able to work but need help offsetting their cost,” said Sandy López, director of the Undocumented Student Resource Center.

Funds can be requested and throughout the academic year by contacting López at [email protected] or go to the center in person in Campus Life Building room 250. Once approved, students will receive money directly, either in full or in part.

López said the USRC worked with the Latino Alumni Council and Latino Resource Center to provide money for the fund. Alumni can donate throughout the year.

The USRC will also be partaking in Huskies United to help find additional funding for the grant.

The Immediate Assistance Fund was created in 2017 amongst concerns about the status of the DACA program. López said this program is vital, as it allows students to work in the U.S. and provides protection from deportation.

“There was an urgency to renew that (DACA) permit, which was $495. How can we get this money to students who need it the most?” López said.