Poll: Who was the best Spider-Man?

A+wax+figure+of+Spider-Man+at+Madame+Tussauds+London.+Ever+since+Tom+Holland+became+Spider-Man+in+the+third+adaption+of+the+Marvel+comic%2C+many+debate+who+best+embodies+Spider-Man.+

Wiki Commons

A wax figure of Spider-Man at Madame Tussauds London. Ever since Tom Holland became Spider-Man in the third adaption of the Marvel comic, many debate who best embodies Spider-Man.

By Angelina Padilla-Tompkins, Editor-in-Chief

Since 2002 there have been three separate live-action adaptations of Marvel’s Spider-Man with three different actors. The question is, who did it best? 

Tobey Maguire

Tobey Maguire will forever remain in the hearts of many, as the first Spider-Man. His first Spider-Man film was released in 2002. There is a sense of nostalgia for many of the ‘90s and 2000s children when watching Maguire’s version of Spider-Man. 

Maguire did an amazing job of portraying the lonely nerdy high school kid that is Peter Parker. Additionally, he does a fantastic job of portraying Parker’s double life. Maguire is able to show how while being Spider-Man might be a heroic blessing, it can also ruin much of his personal life. Through Maguire, the audience is able to see Parker missing out on moments with his best friend and Mary Jane. Being the hero isn’t always as glamorous as one might believe. 

Andrew Garfield 

When “The Amazing Spider-Man” was first released in 2012, actor Andrew Garfield had a lot going against him. There was already a beloved Spider-Man and Garfield was nearly 30 years old, not exactly the younger Peter Parker audiences were used to.  

Despite the disadvantage, Garfield quickly became a fan favorite. Garfield’s Peter Parker was quirky, awkward, and nerdy. His version of Spider-Man is more of a cool outsider than a true loner like Maguire’s. 

Garfield’s version also portrays a young kid having fun with his new spider powers. After being bitten by the spider and realizing his new ability, he is seen swinging around with an expression of pure joy and excitement. 

Additionally, Garfield’s Spider-Man is funny. Garfield jokes around with “bad guys” as well as the cops. Throughout Marvel’s comic book, The Amazing Spider-Man character is illustrated as a young kid cracking jokes in all situations and Garfield’s version shows that trait perfectly. 

What makes Garfield’s Spider-Man films stand out is his relationship with Gwen Stacy, played by Emma Stone. There is no denying the chemistry between the actors through the portrayal of their characters. Perhaps it is because the two actors had an off-screen relationship, or maybe it is simply that they are talented actors. 

Their love is intense and passionate. It is clear how much they care for each other. Garfield does a fantastic job at showing just how agonizing it was for Parker to not be with Gwen, even though he believed he was protecting her. 

Emma Stone did a tremendous job of helping the audience see the difference between Peter Parker and Spider-Man. 

“You’re Spider-Man, and I love that, But I love Peter Parker more,” Gwen told Parker. 

Tom Holland 

Tom Holland’s Spider-Man (2017) is the version that brought his character into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, because of the MCU many believe Holland to be the best Spider-Man. 

Tom Holland is also the youngest actor to play Spider-Man, being about 19 when he appeared in “Captain America: Civil War.” 

Throughout the three Spider-Man films, we see a true coming-of-age story with Peter Parker. The audience sees him as this young kid who still has so much to learn and is navigating the struggles of being a teenager while at the same time, his purpose as a hero. 

Holland’s Peter is awkward, nerdy, shy and innocent. His Spider-Man is still the same dorky kid, just more confident. Holland is able to accurately portray both sides of the character perfectly. 

The love interest in Holland’s films is M.J. (Zendaya). Their first kiss doesn’t happen until the second movie and it is hard to watch because it is so awkward. Just as a teenager’s first kiss should be. 

Additionally, it was through Holland’s Spider-Man movies along with the MCU that audiences were able to see a film where all three versions of Spider-Man existed together.

This poll has ended.

Who do you think was the best Spider-Man?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.