Huskies stage comeback to down Central Michigan

Tim Dodge

NIU freshman utility player Danielle Stewart (22), at bat, watches the ball fly after swinging during the Huskie Softball game against Central Michigan University Saturday at Mary M. Bell Field in DeKalb. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

By Zachary Bertram, Senior Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU softball (15-14, 6-3 MAC) used a late-game comeback to defeat the Central Michigan University Chippewas (12-17, 2-4 MAC) 6-5 in Game 1 of a three-game home series Saturday.

After Central Michigan jumped out to an early 4-1 lead, the Huskies responded with a five-run bottom of the fifth inning to seal the win. 

POOR PITCHING, HOT HITTING

Freshman utility player and reigning Mid-American Conference Pitcher of the Week Danielle Stewart got the start for NIU, but didn’t last long. Stewart allowed four earned runs on five hits in just 1.2 innings pitched. Stewart made up for her rough pitching performance at the plate, going 2-for-3 with three RBIs (runs batted in). 

The Huskie bullpen picked up Stewart’s slack. Freshman pitcher Lily Cassell and junior pitcher Claire Norred combined to pitch the final 5.1 innings, allowing just one earned run. Cassell earned her third win of the season and Norred picked up her second save.

“We’re used to having the lead early and then just holding on, so this game kind of got flipped flopped for us,” NIU head softball coach Christina Sutcliffe said via NIU Athletics. “It was nice to see us just hold our pace and hold true to that. Obviously the fifth inning was huge for us, but Lily Cassell did a great job of coming in, changing that momentum, and just putting some zeros up which gave us a chance.”

GREAT HUSKIE COMEBACK

Central Michigan jumped ahead early with four runs in the top of the second inning. Junior outfielder Abbey Tolmie delivered the big blow of the inning – a two-out two-RBI double. The Chippewas added two more runs to take a 4-0 lead into the bottom of the second.

After surrendering four runs in the top half of the second inning, Stewart bounced back with a solo home run in the bottom of the second inning to cut the Central Michigan lead to 4-1. 

Cassell and Central Michigan redshirt senior pitcher Kaitlyn Bean each pitched clean third and fourth innings to keep the score at 4-1 heading into the fifth inning. 

The Huskies’ bats exploded for five runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, knocking Bean out of the game in the process. Stewart got the big inning started with a two-RBI double to cut the Chippewa lead to 4-3.

After an RBI single from senior utility player Sam Mallinder tied the game, senior pitcher Delaney Ostrowksi delivered a go-ahead RBI single to give the Huskies a 5-4 lead. NIU added one more run to take a 6-4 lead into the sixth inning. 

“We executed in that fifth inning, and we were able to hit with the runners in scoring position,” Sutcliffe said. “We just stayed calm and stuck to our plan and we were able to finally attack it.”

Tolmie answered for Central Michigan in the top of the sixth with her third RBI of the game – a single to score junior outfielder Tailynn Knapp and cut the Huskies lead to 6-5. 

After Cassell issued a one-out walk in the top of the seventh, she was replaced by Norred. Norred retired the last two Chippewa hitters, earning the save and securing the 6-5 win for the Huskies. 

UP NEXT

The Huskies will continue their series against Central Michigan with a doubleheader. Game 1 will start at noon and Game 2 will start at 2 p.m. Sunday at Mary M. Bell Field. The games will be live streamed on NIU All-Access and live stats will be available via SideArm Stats