Appreciate the arts this Saturday

NIU Anime Association

Entrants of the 2019 Karoshi Con cosplay contest stand on stage together in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center. This weeks DeKalb Day Planner includes the NIU Anime Association’s Karoshi Con, which will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday. (Photo courtesy of the NIU Anime Association)

By Sarah Rose, Assistant Lifestyle Editor

Theater, music and art galore. Check out events happening this Saturday at NIU and in local Dekalb.

After-Hours Concert

From 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. join the NIU Steelband at the DeKalb Public Library, located at 309 Oak St. DeKalb, for an eclectic performance. NIU’s Steelband will demonstrate how Trinidad and Tobago’s steelpan can create music over various genres such as classical, pop and jazz. The ensemble has performed throughout the world at universities, high schools and conventions. This event is free and open to the general public. 

The Wizard of Oz

Kaneland High School of Kane County Illinois will perform two showings of “The Wizard of Oz” at the Egyptian Theater, located at 135 N. Second St. DeKalb. The first showing will begin at 2:00 p.m. and the second will begin at 7:00 p.m. The Kaneland High School theater will reimagine the classic tale of Dorothy Gale visiting the timeless place of Oz. Ticket price for adults is $10, $5 for seniors 65 and over and for kids age 12 and under. Tickets must be bought ahead of time on the Egyptian Theater website.   

Hands-On Autoharp Music Workshop

From 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. “Harpin Howard” Solomon, musician and educator, will teach a hands-on autoharp music workshop at the DeKalb Public Library. Attendees will be given a chord song sheet and autoharp to learn a song and perform it. Attendees must be in middle school or over in order to handle the autoharps which range from 8 to 11 pounds. This event is free and open to the general public. As there are only 20 autoharps available, it will be a first come first served basis. 

Karoshi Con

From 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. the NIU Anime Association will host an anime convention at the Holmes Student Center. The event will consist of a cosplay contest, artist gallery, anime bingo and trivia and more. Special Guest Lucas Schuman will return to Karoshi Con to host a “Who Wants to Be a Voice Actor?” presentation. Schuman is a voice actor himself, voicing characters in “One Piece,” “Death Battle” and “Warframe” among other titles. The one-day event is free and those who are interested in attending can pre register online in advance or on the day of the convention in the Capitol South room.