NIU kicks off AAPI Heritage Month

Daniel Massa

The ensemble of Stir Friday Night!, a nonprofit theater company, stands on stage Monday in the Duke Ellington Ballroom. The troupe’s performance consisted of improv and improv-based games, including the pictured “Dr. Know it all,” an improv game where the group answered questions from the audience one word at a time. (Daniel Massa | Northern Star)

By Daniel Massa, Lifestyle Writer

NIU’s Asian American Resource Center (AARC) helped kick off Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (AAPI) with an introductory event and gave the culture the recognition it deserves.

The event was held in the Duke Ellington Ballroom of the Holmes Student Center and featured a variety of special guests who gave presentations and provided participants with a variety of enjoyable activities and refreshments.

The presence of several students and staff members at the occasion was indicative of their affection and backing for the AAPI cultures.

The event itself featured two special guests as presenters. Dr. Albert Chanthaboury was the first presenter at the meeting. Chanthaboury discussed the significance of AAPI people having a presence in the workforce, as well as the real-world damage caused by the model minority myth. Chanthaboury explained how model minority myth minimizes the unique qualities of AAPI people in favor of stereotypes about their identities.

The second of the guest presenters was an improv group by the name of Stir Friday Night!, and they got the audience involved in several different improv games. One of the improv games that stood out as a personal favorite was one in which two audience members were asked to complete the improvisers’ sentences in the context of a made-up roommate scenario.

Simra Ahmed, a junior marketing major, discussed how important it is to celebrate AAPI Heritage Month and what it means to her. 

“Personally, for me, celebrating events like this are really important to spread awareness, especially if it’s being celebrated on campus or in public areas,” Ahmed said. “I think it’s really important to spread awareness to people who don’t know about it and also get together with people that do know, and a lot of people in the community don’t know about this stuff.”  

Organizers at the event have made it clear that they want all students, AAPI or not, to participate and show support whenever and wherever they can.

“We hope students come to any of the programs or events that are happening throughout this month. There are so many really great program opportunities that are being hosted by various faculty, staff, offices, student organizations and it’s just a really great way to learn more about Asian American experiences,” Christina Carpio, associate director of the AARC, said.

This kick-off event could not have been a more fitting way to begin the celebration of AAPI culture that will take place throughout the month of April. There are many more events that will take place throughout the course of this month, such as a speaker event with the Thai American author VC Tang that will take place at 5 p.m. on April 15 at the AARC. Check out the AAPI Heritage Month event calendar to find out about more upcoming events. 

For more information on upcoming events, contact AARC Director Michelle Bringas at [email protected].