DeKalb library to host Suzuki Strings

The+DeKalb+Public+Library+sits+under+a+cloudy+sky+located+in+downtown+DeKalb.+Jazz+In+Progress+will+visit+the+library+on+Oct.+14.+%28Nyla+Owens+%7C+Northern+Star%29+

Nyla Owens

The DeKalb Public Library sits under a cloudy sky located in downtown DeKalb. Jazz In Progress will visit the library on Oct. 14. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

By Eli Tecktiel, Lifestyle Writer

The DeKalb Public Library will be hosting an after-hours concert featuring NIU’s Suzuki Strings on Sunday, April 16, at 7 p.m. in the main lobby. 

The Suzuki method is a unique way of teaching children and teens music. According to the DeKalb Public Library, “The goal of the Suzuki method is to nurture sensitivity, perseverance, cooperation, confidence, creativity, awareness, and other life skills that strengthen our world one person and relationship at a time.”

Featuring 13 high school students supported by their instructors, the hour-long program will include music by Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev and Bach. 

The concert is free, but donations will be collected for BLUME (Building Leadership Using Music Education), a music program in Haiti. No registration is required. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and refreshments will be provided.

For more information, contact Samantha Hathaway at [email protected] or at (815) 756-9568 ext. 1701.