Blue headlines Huskies’ performance at Fighting Illini Challenge

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU women’s track finished the Fighting Illini Challenge as junior Skylynn Blue earned the Huskies’ best finish of the one-day event. 

Blue had the best individual finish for NIU, as she took second place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.02 seconds. Blue also earned eight points for NIU as the runner up.

Fifth-year Kimone Hines also competed in the 200-meter dash, earning a sixth place finish and three points for the Huskies. 

Hines and Blue also competed in the 100-meter dash in Champaign, with Hines beating her teammate by six hundredths of a second to earn fifth place. 

Blue finished in sixth in the 100-meter dash, with her time being 11.82 seconds while also earning three points for the Huskies with her finish. Graduate Suerethia Henderson rounded out the top 10 for the 100-meter dash, with a time of 11.97 seconds.

NIU’s 4×400 meter relay team, consisting of Blue, sophomore Roshell Rowe, sophomore Talayssia Sanders and junior Kennedy Crawford, finished in fifth place with a total time of 3:55.13. The relay group received four points for NIU’s score with their performance. 

Junior Scout Regular finished her patented event – the 100-meter hurdles – in seventh place with a time of 13.78 seconds. Despite finishing outside of her usual top five finish, Regular still produced two points to NIU’s total. 

Junior Lovie Annafi tied for seventh place in the triple jump with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee’s junior Adaline Powell. Annafi’s best jump was 11.34 meters, and she earned 1.5 points for her seventh place finish. 

Sanders finished in eighth place for the 400-meter dash with a time of 56.88 seconds. Sanders got one point added to the Huskies’ score for her finish. Rowe finished right behind Sanders in ninth place in the 400, with a time of 57.26 seconds. 

UP NEXT

NIU’s next event will be the Bryan Clay Invitational Thursday through Saturday in Azusa, California at the Cougar Athletic Stadium.