Aaron Harper walks it off against Central Michigan

Tim Dodge

Junior infielder Andre Demetral (1) puts the tag down on a Central Michigan University player as he attempts to steal second base while junior infielder Aaron Harper (22) looks on. The Huskies were defeated by the Chippewas 17-7 on April 8. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

By Ethan Gonzales, Sports Editor

DeKALB – Junior infielder Aaron Harper sent Huskie fans home happy after hitting a walk-off two-RBI single to defeat Central Michigan University Easter Sunday.

The Huskies trailed for the entire game, only taking the lead in the ninth inning to win the game and snap their seven-game losing streak.

“Anyone who has seen us play this season knows we don’t give up,” NIU baseball head coach Mike Kunigonis said via an NIU Athletics press release. “We keep battling. This team has character and they bounced back after a couple tough games. These guys were ready to go today and it was awesome. We stuck with our game plan offensively and had some key hits to the opposite field.”

NIU’s rally began with junior infielder Andre Demetral in the bottom of the eighth inning. Demetral led off the inning with a single, Harper reached base on an error, and junior outfielder and catcher Colin Summerhill walked to load the bases.

Central Michigan struck out the next two batters, but walked junior infielder Mason Kelley to make it a 5-4 ballgame.

The Chippewas failed to score an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning. CMU freshman infielder Christian Mitchelle was tagged out at home by sophomore catcher Kaden Kosobucki after a wild pitch from senior pitcher Nick Bonk.

Mitchelle attempted to steal home but did not touch the plate, leading to an easy tag from Kosobucki. The out kept the deficit at one run.

Senior outfielder Malik Peters and junior infielder Eric Erato both singled to start the ninth inning. A sacrifice bunt from Demetral moved both runners into scoring position, setting up Harper’s RBI opportunity. 

Harper then singled to right field, bringing home both runs and ending the game.

“Today was a day where we really needed to win,” Harper said in an NIU Athletics press release. “I got the pitch I wanted and put it through the hole to drive the guys in.”

UP NEXT

The Huskies face Western Michigan University at 3 p.m. Friday at Ralph McKinzie Field. The game will be streamed on NIU All-Access and live stats will be available via Sidearm Stats.