First night highlights of Reality Bytes

Nyla Owen

The crowd in Sandburg Auditorium preparing for the Reality Bytes Film Festival. The festival’s first night was a success with nine films showcased. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

By Daniel Massa, Lifestyle Writer

The 2023 Reality Bytes Film Festival premiered Tuesday night and was a stellar showcase of short films from all over the world.

Reality Bytes is an annual film festival at NIU directed by undergraduate program director of media studies, Laura Vazquez. The festival is designed to showcase short films made by students all around the world.

While Vazquez couldn’t make it to the festival, Randy Caspersen, an associate professor of media studies at NIU, was present in her place. Caspersen explained how important it was for NIU students to have some form of contact with other filmmakers globally. 

“I think for students in Northern Illinois to have contact with student films from all over the world is something they don’t get always from their streaming channels or at the theater,” Caspersen said. 

The festival allows film lovers a chance to look into the minds of those who have a story to tell whether it be in the hopes to change the world around us or to just have fun and entertain audiences.  

“I think it’s important for students to get a taste of what’s going on and how the film industry works. With NIU, we’re a bit more separated from the Chicago area, so it’s nice to have our own experience to put together these films,” Eli Oleson, a senior communications and media studies major, said. “I think it’s a great way of diversifying your views and getting a taste of what it’s like to go to larger film festivals.”

Oleson is also an editor of the documentary short “Push to Talk,” which is about the experiences and struggles women face in video game spaces, alongside the documentary’s producer Samantha Prus, a senior journalism and media studies major.

“I like the creativity of it,” Prus said. “There’s so many different paths and stories you can tell. (Reality Bytes) is another outlet for you to tell stories and be creative in the process.” 

“Push to Talk” – directed by Emily Fried

“Push to Talk” is a documentary short directed by NIU graduate student Emily Fried. The documentary explores the challenges and experiences faced by women and other underrepresented gender identities who play video games. Students and faculty members from NIU and Bradley University talk in the documentary about the negative experiences they’ve had with harassment in online game spaces. In addition to this, they explain how anyone can work to promote greater diversity within these spaces.

The documentary is a must-see for gamers and NIU students. The documentary received a round of applause from the audience. 

“Through The Barricades” – directed by Alexandrine Benjamin

One of the big hitters for night one was the narrative short “Through The Barricades” by Haitian filmmaker Alexandrine Benjamin. The short follows a couple in Haiti trying to reach a nearby hospital in order to deliver their child, all while they fight their way through social unrest and violent gangs with only a motorized scooter. 

The short that Benjamin wrote is not one for the faint of heart. The heavy tone, cinematography, plot and characters showcase to audiences that there’s much more to the story of Haiti than what we may see on the news. The film’s climax, along with its bittersweet conclusion, amplifies the message that Benjamin conveys to the audience about the seemingly never-ending cycle of violence that affects not only Haiti, but also the world.  

“Reaper” – directed by Eva Ulreich

“Reaper” is an animated short by Tuscarora High School student Eva Ulreich. The animation follows a girl who attempts to escape from the Grim Reaper trying to claim her soul.

The key aspect of Ulreich’s short is the animation and colors. The short features a small color palette of red, brown and black. However, Ulreich manages to be diverse with this limited palette incorporating numerous shades of red into the animation from crimson to rouge. 

The design for the Grim Reaper breaks away from the common depiction of a hooded, faceless entity with boney fingers and a silver scythe. Ulreich’s Reaper has a more feminine design and wields a multi-shaded red scythe.

The short also features a surprising ending, making “Reaper” an intriguing take on the soul-claiming entity viewers may associate with death.

“Level One” – directed by Christopher Bennett

In the animated short, the protagonists are two siblings who compete against one another in a video game. 

“Level One” introduces two distinct animation styles right off the bat. The introduction and conclusion of the short are presented in a sketchbook style that’s darker and less colorful than the rest of the short. The second style makes use of vibrant neon colors. However, the animation feels bland and looks similar to animation from Crash Course videos

The narrative and overall tone are humorous, and by the time you reach the conclusion, the brotherly love of these two gamers will fill your heart. 

“This is Paul” – directed by Rosana Kassim

“This is Paul” is a narrative short directed by Egyptian filmmaker Rosana Kassim. The film follows a call center agent named Paul working an overtime shift during the COVID-19 lockdown who gets a call from an unsuspecting individual. 

The film features mostly still medium and close shots with a handful of long shots and panning shots. The cinematography and editing make the audience more invested in the conversation between Paul and the caller on the other end of the line. 

The performances in the film also leave a strong impression on the viewer with the natural banter between the two characters. Both the character of Paul and the viewer are left to question how much they really matter at their job and when is the right time to quit. 

“Holding Hands With The Moon” – directed by Sarah Blake

“Holding Hands with the Moon” is a short directed by Colorado high school student Sarah Blake. The short follows a young lady named Terra who lives an isolated life battling with anxiety. One night, however, the moon visits her in person to assure her that she has nothing to worry about.

The film is edited in the style of a ‘40s film, complete with a film grain that can also double as stars. The way the short displays Terra’s struggles with anxiety is also clever, depicting it through a ‘40s commercial for a product called “Anxiety.”

The film at times feels like a Wes Anderson movie with certain shots emulating his style, and the chemistry between Terra and the moon is sweetly platonic. 

Blake’s short is cute and heartwarming and confidently closed off the first night of student films.

The second night of the Reality Bytes Film Fest starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center. The event is free and open to the public.

For more information, check out the Reality Bytes website for the list of films for the second night, or contact [email protected].