Event to be held on digitizing historic Northern Star articles

The+first+cover+of+%E2%80%9CNorthern+Illinois%2C%E2%80%9D+now+the+Northern+Star%2C+that+was+scanned+by+the+Special+Collections+and+Archives+department.+The+department+is+undergoing+efforts+of+digitizing+the+historic+editions+of+the+paper.+%28Courtesy+of+Glidden+Homestead%29+

Glidden Homestead

The first cover of “Northern Illinois,” now the Northern Star, that was scanned by the Special Collections and Archives department. The department is undergoing efforts of digitizing the historic editions of the paper. (Courtesy of Glidden Homestead)

By Michael Mollsen, Written Managing Editor

DeKalb — NIU’s Department of Special Collections and Archives will be hosting an event to learn more about the digitization process of older Northern Star Articles.

The event will be taking place at 12 p.m. April 23 at the Glidden Homestead.

Associate professor and department head Bradley Wiles will be presenting on the actual digitization process, discoveries that have been made during the viewing of the papers and a discussion on other projects the department is working on.

Articles produced from 1899 to the 1920s will be available to access online this spring; publications created up to 1997 will be available next fall.

Along with the digitization event, starting April 23 the Glidden Homestead & Historical Center will be open every Sunday from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

The Phineas Vaughn Blacksmith Shop will be operating alongside the museum with volunteer blacksmiths to provide demonstrations of the craft.

Admission for the blacksmith program and a tour of the museum will be $5 for adults, children under 14 and museum members are admitted for free.