Sluzas, Huskies shine at Hawkeye Invitational

By Eddie Miller, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – Three top-20 individual finishes helped NIU men’s golf finish the Hawkeye Invitational in third place out of 13 teams. Sophomore Ben Sluzas had the Huskies’ best showing, finishing tied for third place. 

The Huskies finished the first round of the tournament one under par with a score of 286. NIU found their best round in round two, shooting a 275. It rounded out the tournament by shooting 291 in the third round. 

Sluzas opened the tournament with a score of 71 in round one – one under par. Sluzas matched his season low of 66 in the second round and ended the tournament with a score of 71 in the third round. 

Placing tied for sixth place, graduate student Tommy Dunsire logged a second top-10 finish for the Huskies. Dunsire led the Huskies after the first round, shooting a four under par, 68. Dunsire shot another 68 in the second round, but closed the tournament with a score of 74 in the third round. 

Senior Zach Place was NIU’s third best golfer, placing tied for 20th. Place shot a two over par, 74, in the first round and finished the tournament scoring a 71 in each of the last two rounds. 

NIU’s fourth-best golfer, freshman Ian Bruchhauser, placed tied for 25th – his first top-25 finish since the Missouri State Intercollegiate. Bruchhauser shot a 73 in the first round, followed by his tournament low 70 in the second round. Bruchhauser ended the tournament with a third round score of 75. 

Graduate student Campbell Wolf rounded out the Huskies lineup, finishing tied for 39th place.

After shooting a 74 in the first round, Wolf finished round two with a score of 72 and ended the tournament shooting a 75 in the third round. 

UP NEXT

The Huskies’ next tournament is the Robert Kepler Invitational – a tournament hosted by The Ohio State University – and is an all day event ranging from Friday to Sunday. The tournament will be played at OSU Scarlet Course in Columbus, Ohio, and live scoring will be available on GolfStat.