It’s OK if you don’t have a summer internship

A+female+student+talking+with+her+boss+while+holding+a+pen.+Senior+columnist+Angelina+Padilla-Tompkins+believes+college+students+should+not+stress+about+getting+internships+over+the+summer+and+should+enjoy+it+instead.+

Getty Images

A female student talking with her boss while holding a pen. Senior columnist Angelina Padilla-Tompkins believes college students should not stress about getting internships over the summer and should enjoy it instead.

By Angelina Padilla-Tompkins, Editor-in-Chief

The end of the school year can cause many students to feel stressed with finals, but one aspect that isn’t discussed enough is the stress of finding the perfect summer internship. There is way too much pressure placed on students to make the most of their summers academically and in the workforce. 

Students might feel a lot of pressure from parents or professors to find the ideal internship that will boost their resume, but here’s the thing: it is OK if you don’t have a summer internship. There are plenty of other things you can try this summer. 

Students can find a part-time job they might enjoy and save up money for when the academic year begins again and they might not have enough time to work.. There is value in working for a local ice cream shack, a grocery store, a museum, etc.

While a part-time summer job might not sound as great as an internship, there are still many benefits. 

A summer job can improve confidence, promote a positive work ethic, teach time management skills and prove that you can hold a job, according to Investopedia

Additionally, students could use the summer to simply have fun. Summer is one of the last times students have a long break to truly relax. Once they graduate there is a whole new set of pressures placed on their shoulders. Students should feel comfortable enough to want to spend time with family and friends while their schedules still allow them to. There is no shame in wanting to make the most out of your last free summer(s). 

If you are searching for an internship or job for this summer, fall or spring, NIU hosts at least one career and internship fair each semester. The next career fair will be held at 1 p.m. on May 3 in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.