Editorial: Back to the pack

Cartoonist+Isaac+Trusty+illustrates+a+goose+laying+on+a+bed+of+flowers.+NIU+students+and+staff+can+expect+to+see+plenty+of+geese+around+campus.+
Isaac Trusty
Cartoonist Isaac Trusty illustrates a goose laying on a bed of flowers. NIU students and staff can expect to see plenty of geese around campus.

With a new school year starting, we wanted to use our first editorial of the year to discuss the big changes happening in DeKalb and remind our readers we will try to help them informed with the news this semester. 

First, there have been major updates in the renovations of the bridges over the Kishwaukee River on Lucinda Avenue and North First Street. 

Construction will continue on the bridge on North First Street and is slated to be completed by the end of October, according to an announcement by the City of DeKalb. Additionally, a pedestrian bridge will be completed underneath the main bridge. The city aims to have this pedestrian bridge completed by the end of the year. 

Construction workers spent last week removing barriers around the bridge for the bridge on Lucinda Avenue. While it is not complete, the city stated that the bridge is safe to drive on and will be open for commuters to cross throughout the semester. 

Construction will restart in the spring, with the project estimated to be completed by the end of summer 2024.

NORMAL ROAD CLOSED

In July, the DeKalb City Council decided to close Normal Road between Lucinda Avenue and West Locust Street. 

The city plans to use a majority of the road to create an outdoor quad for NIU. While this is incredibly inconvenient, the campus benefits from this change long term. 

The best options to get to Lincoln Highway seem to be via North Annie Glidden Road or by taking the route around the lagoon (Gilbert Drive to College Avenue to Castle Drive). 

PARKING

In a final bit of news, NIU changed its parking layouts recently. Many lots remain available to the same color permits, but be sure to look out for changes in the lots you park in. Later this week, we will have updated and more complete coverage of this change.

NORTHERN STAR

As for us, there’s a few things to know. 

First and foremost, if you want to keep track of the news around the NIU and DeKalb area, subscribe to our daily newsletter TLDR. Every morning, we’ll send out a hand-picked selection of stories written by students for students. 

Likewise, you should follow us on social media. When breaking news occurs, we want to get you information as fast as possible to help keep you informed. Check us out on X (formerly known as Twitter), Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and TikTok at NIUNorthernStar.

Welcome back to school, Huskies. We’re glad to have you back.